Thread: Newbie questions

Red face Newbie questions

Alright, so my grandmother wants me to record the local church services on one of the local cable channels for her to watch later and I did that today but since I'm not home on any weekdays (school), I have to set a timer and usually the time varies a bit (ex. sometimes it starts 12:46, others :47, :48, :49 so I set for :47 and the ending also varies) so today it started recording about 10 seconds late, no big deal but I got about 3 minutes of another local program afterwards. I only have a LG LRA850 DVD recorder (very basic) so is there a way for me to edit the other 3 minutes at the end of probably every service I'll ever record out on the PC? Any software? Is it even possible? I just want to remove that last few minutes.

I guess my guestion would be why can't your Grandmother just put up with those two or three minutes?

OKAY - if you are recording directly to the dvd disc then you would have to transfer to disc files to a pc hard drive then rip or transcode the .vob file to a more friendly editing file format like mpeg and then open that file in a simple editing program and then quickly shorten or trim the video to the end of the church service and then finish or render it as a completed editing project and then burn it out to another dvd disc for your Grandmother. Adobe, Pinnacle and ULead all offer free trial downloads of their consumer editing software.

The above is all easy to do but it seems a lot of hassle to go through to remove a bit off the church service files. Instead, why can't Grandma ust push the stop button when finished watching the religious rituals??
    goodluck

Thanks for the info. She definitely can just press stop when the service is over but being the perfectionist I am, if there was an easy method to remove that extra content at the end, I'd rather not have it there. It doesn't matter that much anyway I guess - not interested in 500MB downloads and spending hundreds of dollars on software for a local church service.
    ~NeonFire372~

Had to add that you please know that I am no expert re dvr features as I have never found a personal use for one of those gadgets.

It well could be that your machine has a feature that will let you do a bit of scene cropping before the disc is finalized so check that out in the device documentation or just wait and a sharper mind than mine will post better information.