Thread: FCP Studio 2 or AVID?

Default FCP Studio 2 or AVID?

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure if this is where I would post a question such as this but it seemed to be more approriate than the other forums. But anyways, I'm a film student and I recently acquired a Mac Pro to use to hone my editing skills to a professional level. I have yet to get an editing program yet (I will probably be making a buy this week or next week) and I'm not sure what I should buy. I'm already pretty proficient in Final Cut Pro as far as the fundamentals go but that is the only program that I really can say that I 'know'.

I'm really into getting an AVID Xpress Pro pack so that I can learn AVID (I hear the learning curve is really high). I'm more into editing movies than anything else and I've heard that AVID is the main program used so I figured that I should try and familiarize myself with it.

My question is: Do any of you have any recommendation as to which program would be the best to purchase? Is either better than the other or more commonly used than the other?

Blog Entries

I would say an editor is an editor - if you know and use fcp why change?

To say avid is better for movis is just daft.

Personaly tho I would run xp and vegas.

Mac pro - nice - is it the one with 8 cores.... want!

FWIW, I was recently working with a guy who used AVID for many years but recently changed to FCP and has never looked back. He tells me that everything is much more straightforward in FCP and it's easier to get to grips with.