Thread: Sublime#3

Default Sublime#3

Hi all

this is my latest project, SUBLIME#3,

Shot over 2 days with my hvx in 720p. edited and graded in final cut pro and color.

I hope you will enjoy it, here is the link

YouTube - Sublime#3

Feedback would be nice especially if there are specific things/details that catches your attention in the movie or on the technical side. That would help me get an idea what to improve next time.

Also the movie was shot in Montreal and the actress main language is french so i would like to know if you think she has a noticeable accent when she speaks english and how you feel about it.

Cheers

jp

Blog Entries

There's a fair bit of criticism but that's only because the film is actually quite good in parts. (If it was rubbish, then I can't be bothered to spend time on a long critique).

I loved the style at first, especially the backlit smoking shots and sat back in anticipation of a series of sublime images but then it descended into average framing and lighting which only looked acceptable because of the high contrast monochrome "film noir look".

I found the lighting continuity (or rather the lack of it) really annoying.

It was bum-numbingly slow though. A bit like a pretentious 1960's french movie and by the seven minute mark I was screaming "Just bloody well get on with it!".

The sound perspective is also off at times.

Just to put this in perspective, this is ten times better than most of the videos which get posted here but it fails (for me) on those few crucial points.

Thank you very much for the constructive feedback, i appreciate it.

Jp

Blog Entries

Well - that was a great and probably worthy of a level of criticism that eludes me - technically at least.

I liked - it all, the whole thing was lush.

I didnt like - soft focus bits - clashed for me with the harsh look.

I liked - the acting - comvincing.

I didnt like - sound mix at start -a bit bbomy.

I liked - the constant return to the bedroom / window shot. All it needs is subtitles and french actors....

I liked - the close shots and the editing, nice use of colour.

Very sexy film, congrats.

thanks for the comment. I'm just wondering, why do you think it needs french actor and subtitles ? (the actress is actually french).

cheers

jp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jpdesjardins View Post
    thanks for the comment. I'm just wondering, why do you think it needs french actor and subtitles ? (the actress is actually french).

cheers

jp

Ha - it was a rubbish gag - alluding to 'arty' films, in a positive way.

I would also add I reaaly liked the script.
    Last edited by Mark W; 02-28-2008 at 01:06 AM.

no stress :P

keep the feedback coming

Afraid I'm not technically competent enough to offer any really useful critisism. (Guru's lighting comments... Went right past me. It looked gorgeous to me)

The shot from outside the bedroom door ... I am sure there is a shadow of the camera operator or something. Particularly at 05:27 I'm sure you can see a moving shadow.

Well and convincingly acted. Liked the script too, particularly the subtext about her past.

I only caught a whiff of a French accent. But I work with French people every day so it's hard not to get atuned to it. However it just made the female character a tad more exotic.

Last line... Right out of 'Eyes Wide Shut'? Still a good line though

Its interesting about the shadow... i never noticed, i'd have to check the rushes or maybe its the compression that does this effect.

As for the last line, i watched eyes wide shut for the first time during the production so I was kind of disapointed...

The bottom line is that there never is something truly original...

cheers