Thread: "Cut-zoom" in Vegas Pro?

1. Default "Cut-zoom" in Vegas Pro?

One of the things I like about the neo-flight.tv video podcast is the way the show is produced with a single camera on tripod on remote control. What would normally be a dull static shot of two people talking works because the picture keeps cutting seamlessly to one of the two people in the frame. This is all done in post apparently using just a single take recording of the whole show. I guess it works so well because the show is recorded using a high def camera (same as mine - the PMW-EX1) and the resolution is there to do a 200% zoom without the picture quality falling apart.

I'm completely new to Vegas Pro 8 and would like to do the same thing. Can anyone give me any pointers to how to achieve this (assuming it's do-able). If there's a section in the User Guide about doing this sort of thing that would be great.

Thanks,
    Ian

Blog Entries

Stick your video on the timeline.
    Put the timeline cursor at the beginning of the part you want to zoom in on. Press "S" (split)
    Put the timeline cursor at the end of the part you want to zoom in on. Press "S"
    (You now have three "events" on the timeline)
    At the right end of the middle section, you'll see a couple of small icons, click on the one hat looks like a square - this is the Pan & Crop icon. (alternatively right click the middle event & select "Video Event Pan/Crop")
    You'll see a rectangle with a large "F". Move/resize this rectangle to select the area you want to zoom in on.
    Close window.
    Job Done.
    (See help file & download manual for loads more detail on Pan & crop)
    Tim

3. Default

Thanks Tim.

I really need to RTFM but what you've posted will get me up and running for a tight deadline MUCH faster.

Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Glad to help. I sort of got that impression which is why I didn't simply refer you to the manual. It's actually very useful - I recommend you download it. The help is also very good when compared to many other Windows apps - and you'll learn somethig from the simple & basic How To Interactive Tutorials also found under the Help menu item.
    Tim