Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distant Shores

Default Distant Shores

Here is the first preview of J King's debut independent film. I'd appreciate your feedback. For more on the film please visit his website at www.earlybirdproductions.ca

http://www.marcpeters.co.uk/webpreview384kbs.wmv

Default well

what do you think?

Awesome dude .... nice work.
    My girlfriend cant wrestle but you should see her BOX!

Blog Entries

bump

cool. really works, but i think the fades went a little bit too fast. sometimes i would have liked to take in a bit more of the picture.
    Aim for the Moon - If you miss, you may hit a Star

AMD Athlon64 3000+
    48x CD burner
    16x Dual Layer DVD burner
    512 Mb RAM
    Windows XP Pro/Debian unstable
    Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5
    Firewire card
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    2 x 17" CRTs, 1 x 17" TFT

Default yup

That was what I first asked JKing when he showed me the video. But later when I saw more of the project - the speed of the transitions helped increase alertness to some subtle images he includes. I felt myself trying to catch up and then he would slip in something that would make my brain stop and report back that it was uncomfortable for few seconds - which was cool.

Perhaps though you are right in the trailer the transitions should be slower to create suspense and allow for more interpretation. Perhaps a second trailer later could be faster and harder hitting.

What do you think JKing?
    The tale of my death has been greatly exagerated

Thanks POW15H, Pieguy, Marc, and Davewav for your comments.

The film will be about an intensely disturbing psychological and spiritual process called the Dark Night of the Soul (DNOS). My thinking with the preview was to try and have not only the images but also the presentation of them consistent with features of the DNOS process. That is, images are powerful yet vague, initially dark and maybe disturbing (at least the initial stages) etc.. With the presentation of the images I was playing with trying to bring the viewer in to a state that might mirror the DNOS process somewhat; that is, feel somewhat confused, perhaps disturbed, demand a great deal of focus and concentration, elicit thoughts without the time to process them fully, almost not give the viewer time to relax (much like the chronic state of a person during a DNOS experience) - until the painful yet hopefully serene climax at the end when it slows down.
    However, maybe itís too much for a preview, especially one that does not establish the above context. I never actually considered that I should make the preview to Ďstand aloneí as I always had it in mind in the context of the rest of my webpage. I also do not want to overwhelm the viewer or have them find the film aversive (for example, because itís too fast) and then not be interested in seeing it.

I will try a version slowing the transitions down. Also maybe try and establish the context within the preview itself. Can you make out the pictures alright? Marc has offered to post a somewhat larger version of this original preview which will be at a higher bitrate and therefore clearer. Perhaps itíll make a difference. I believe the link will be as a separate post and will hopefully be up shortly.

Questions for those who have viewed it:
    I am interested to know if the context of the preview (above) makes you see it in a different light.
    Do you think trying to elicit a mood state from the viewer is a good idea and to what extent is it achieved? (e.g., your visceral reactions upon viewing vs. your reactions upon reflection)

Excuse my naivitee; what does bump mean?

Iím working on a second preview as I work on the film itself. I appreciate your thoughts so I can improve the second.

-John

Blog Entries

"bump" is a quick way of moving a topic to the top of a page

Blog Entries

Heres the new version you sent: www.marcpeters.co.uk/webpreview786kbs.wmv

Watching your video again having read your post *did* change my interpretation of the video... and reminded me that it's been some time since I've woken up screaming from a nightmare!

It still brought a shiver to my spine haflway through, but I nevertheless came away with a smile.

Anyways, onto the video itself... I think the timing of the fades and the duration of the stills is out of synch with the music - that's why they appear disconnected/too fast. Try timing the fades with the up and down of the muisc.

I'd really appreciate any other comments. Seems to have had a lot of views. Must be a few more opinions. Or opinions on the project as a whole. Here's some background: http://www.mts.net/~gvh/main.htm
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast