Thread: moving objects in Vegas

Question moving objects in Vegas

I've been using Vegas for several years now and I still haven't understood one thing. At first I edited plain video clips but past few months I have dealt more with texts, animations and objects and still I can't figure out some things. Like when I add an object to a project, well actually it's just a picture without a background or with deleted background(with chroma keyer), it might be just 10x10 pixels small, but still somehow Vegas thinks it's better to make those 100 pixels just as big as the whole project(HD 1920x1080), so it stretches it out and makes it look really weird and the only way to decrease the size is to use pan/crop BUT I think that the purpose of pan/crop tool is to pan/crop NOT to resize objects and even if I use pan/crop then there is a limit of decreasing and reducing the size of an object. The other way to make the object smaller or bigger is to use the track motion BUT again, it changes the whole track, which means that I would have to make a new track for every single object, which would be quite annoying. So if somebody could explain how to enable the function in Vegas that keeps the original size of still images and a tool which can be used to make objects/pictures bigger or smaller.

Big thanks.

Vegas is doing what it does best - it uses whatever you throw at it regardless of dimensions. Read on . . .

If my project is setup for PAL 720x576 it WILL take any visual media and load it into that. It is NOT resizing the material, it is still, for you 10x10, it is doing exactly what a NLE should do, and accepting all media as a fit - vertical first - into the PROJECT using the project settings/format, and with me, that is 720 by 576. It does this very well. Now, what needs to be done is "place" the 10x10 pixel material WITHIN a 720x576 background so that WHEN it comes into Vegas, Vegas says, "Huh, just another piece of 720x576 media - BOSH!" I can now see the 10x10 floating in the middle of the transparent BG. It is the Background which is 720x576 NOT the visual I want. BTW, I use PNGS for trannie BGs. As you use a camera for your format to generate video content, you also need a graphics editor to generate media that will fit into the NLE. I use PsP.

So, no trick. No need to "fight" Vegas with Pan/Crop or TrackMotion. But there IS a need to realise that whatever Vegas is allowed to import, it WILL do this as per your request in your project settings AND for the reasons I set above. And do this very well indeed. Set your Project to your parameters and it will make EVERYTHING fit that. It does exactly what it says on the can. I thinks: "You want I should fit a 10x10 pixel media into XXX - YYY then I'll do it". Now, just think about this for a minute, isn't it better this way, than have the editor/operative not knowing just HOW to fit something in? And be ALL over the shop with many varied bits of media - of all different format sizes? Plain and simple, you/I/we don't video in 10x10, so why on earth should Vegas think to make things in 10x10? - However, if we DID video in 10x10 then Vegas WILL allow you/I/we to set the project parameters ( look and study the project settings for the same!) at that!! And if we did do that people would be asking questions like, how to fit 720x576 content into that!! Yeah?

Bottom line, give Vegas a chance to do what it is supposed to do - and do well. Make whatever media you are wanting to bring in, and retain its dimensions, set on the background size you need FOR that project. BTW, 10x10? That is MIGHTY small??

Another tip. When I do do logo inserts - maybe bottom left or whatever - I set the logo down there from within my graphics editor, within the 720x576 BG, rather than using the TrackMotion or PanCrop to do it. I can always "tweak" its position.

HTH?

Grazie

okay, that says everything, so i'm a little dissapointed in Vegas but then again it's not so hard to edit those pictures and objects in Photoshop, Photopaint etc.
    Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Vegas is doing what it does best - it uses whatever you throw at it regardless of dimensions. Read on . . .

If my project is setup for PAL 720x576 it WILL take any visual media and load it into that. It is NOT resizing the material, it is still, for you 10x10, it is doing exactly what a NLE should do, and accepting all media as a fit - vertical first - into the PROJECT using the project settings/format, and with me, that is 720 by 576. It does this very well. Now, what needs to be done is "place" the 10x10 pixel material WITHIN a 720x576 background so that WHEN it comes into Vegas, Vegas says, "Huh, just another piece of 720x576 media - BOSH!" I can now see the 10x10 floating in the middle of the transparent BG. It is the Background which is 720x576 NOT the visual I want. BTW, I use PNGS for trannie BGs. As you use a camera for your format to generate video content, you also need a graphics editor to generate media that will fit into the NLE. I use PsP.

So, no trick. No need to "fight" Vegas with Pan/Crop or TrackMotion. But there IS a need to realise that whatever Vegas is allowed to import, it WILL do this as per your request in your project settings AND for the reasons I set above. And do this very well indeed. Set your Project to your parameters and it will make EVERYTHING fit that. It does exactly what it says on the can. I thinks: "You want I should fit a 10x10 pixel media into XXX - YYY then I'll do it". Now, just think about this for a minute, isn't it better this way, than have the editor/operative not knowing just HOW to fit something in? And be ALL over the shop with many varied bits of media - of all different format sizes? Plain and simple, you/I/we don't video in 10x10, so why on earth should Vegas think to make things in 10x10? - However, if we DID video in 10x10 then Vegas WILL allow you/I/we to set the project parameters ( look and study the project settings for the same!) at that!! And if we did do that people would be asking questions like, how to fit 720x576 content into that!! Yeah?

Bottom line, give Vegas a chance to do what it is supposed to do - and do well. Make whatever media you are wanting to bring in, and retain its dimensions, set on the background size you need FOR that project. BTW, 10x10? That is MIGHTY small??

Another tip. When I do do logo inserts - maybe bottom left or whatever - I set the logo down there from within my graphics editor, within the 720x576 BG, rather than using the TrackMotion or PanCrop to do it. I can always "tweak" its position.

HTH?

Grazie
    So Sony Vegas don't allow to see a image smaller than the project in his original size?

And when i create my image within a 720x576 BG and i import it how i move it around the screen? Using pan/crop or there is anothre way?

This way (images within 720x576 BG) is a professional technical the most of "guru" use or is a way to around this sony vegas problem...?

Quote Originally Posted by Quesy View Post
    So Sony Vegas don't allow to see a image smaller than the project in his original size?
    Well it does. You can use Pan/Crop or TM. But maybe you are asking how would it do this automatically? Is that it?

And when i create my image within a 720x576 BG and i import it how i move it around the screen? Using pan/crop or there is anothre way?
    This is what I do. I mentioned above that I "tweak it". Sure, you can use Pan-crop or TM. But I was addressing our friend's observations.

This way (images within 720x576 BG) is a professional technical the most of "guru" use or is a way to around this sony vegas problem...?
    I don't understand? Please explain? Why is this a problem anyway?

I was responding to the original observation: " . . when I add an object to a project, . . . it might be just 10x10 pixels small, but still somehow Vegas thinks it's better to make those 100 pixels just as big as the whole project(HD 1920x1080), so it stretches it out and makes it look really weird and the only way to decrease the size is to use pan/crop BUT I think that the purpose of pan/crop tool is to pan/crop NOT to resize objects and even if I use pan/crop then there is a limit of decreasing and reducing the size of an object." - it was that "only way" observation that I felt needed to be explored - yes?

And again here: "The other way to make the object smaller or bigger is to use the track motion BUT again, it changes the whole track, which means that I would have to make a new track for every single object, which would be quite annoying. So if somebody could explain how to enable the function in Vegas that keeps the original size of still images and a tool which can be used to make objects/pictures bigger or smaller." It was the "whole track" observation. And again I thought that offering another way would assist.

That is what I was responding to. Now, where, exactly is it you feel that there is a problem? I really don't see a problem at all? Maybe I AM missing the point, not an unknown experience for me at all!!

Grazie

Blog Entries

The OP says there is a limit to the magnitude of changes in size that track motion can manage - not so - track motion goes from 1 pixel to zillions, but you will need to zoom in / out in the pan crop window to get the extrmes.

Click outside the image box in the TM window, then mousewheel.

Well it does. You can use Pan/Crop or TM. But maybe you are asking how would it do this automatically? Is that it?
    Yes i was asking that, but i got is impossible.

I don't understand? Please explain? Why is this a problem anyway?

That is what I was responding to. Now, where, exactly is it you feel that there is a problem? I really don't see a problem at all? Maybe I AM missing the point, not an unknown experience for me at all!!
    I meant if this (image within BG) is a common way to have the original size of the image and make it inside the VIDEO. Maybe is with Vegas but not with others video editing software.

And yes this is a problem. Cause using PAN/CROP or TM is a limit.
    I give you an example.
    I have a project 640x480.
    I have an images 50x50 and i want it goes from left to right without implement it in a 640x480 BG.
    The "bug" is to resize it, using TM or PAN/CROP, i have to resize my image only using my eyes and i can't be so precise.

Sorry my english but i'm italian.
    Thank you.