Thread: Desperate For Help!!!!

Default Desperate For Help!!!!

Hello, I am very new to making home movies so suggestions in basic terms would be helpful.
    I am desperately trying to burn DVD's of my childrens birthdays/family gatherings and holidays, I have a mini-dv camcorder and I use a firewire to download footage onto my computer.
    I then use Windows DVD Maker to burn the footage onto DVD's.

Whilst the burning process takes place the dvd gets spat out with only 99% completion and an error message and when I try and watch the dvd it is very juddery and poor and keeps freezing up.

The footage is saved as a WMV file on the computer, the discs I am using are Philips DVD-R 4.7 GB.
    My computer has 48.5 gb of 76.3 gb of memory, it is 511mb RAM and is a 32-bit Operating system (Windows Vista Home Premium).

I have been given all sorts of advice from "not enough memory" to "Vista and Windows DVD Maker are rubbish". All I want is to learn the basics first and then maybe progress onto better software when I can.

PLEASE PLEASE Can you help me!

Default Desperate

I don't have Vista so I can't help from experience, but if you type "windows DVD maker" into google there are a lot of sites giving help and info about how to use it. Don't forget you must use PAL NOT NTSC for your video in the UK. Presumably the software checks to see if the video will fit on a 4.7GB disk? Otherwise you may need a dual layer disk.
    What exactly is the error message?

Thanks for your response, in relation to the error mesage. I will have to note it down next time as I can't remember exactly what it said.
    I will check the sites though, cheer again.

The only software I use to make movie DVDs is Premiere Elements 2. This occasionally fails to burn properly, and the most annoying thing about this is that I have to start the whole process over again.

I don't know what options your DVD software has, but Elements 2 has an option to burn the DVD files to a folder instead of straight to disc. So I do that, and then use other burning software (in this case, Sonic Record Now DX) to burn the DVDs. This works 99% of the time, with the added advantage that if the burn does fail, I still have the DVD files on the computer and can burn them to another DVD, or make several copies where necessary, without having to wait for rendering.

Personal prejudice here - use something else besides moviemaker. Don't capture as .wvm - capture as .avi.

Most good consumer capture/editing software offers free download trials - Pinnacle or Adobe or, my favorite, ULead Video Studio.

What are your capture settings when moving your video from your camcorder to your hard drive? Should be .avi. One hour of video will equal about 13Gig of a file. Saving it as anything else or anything smaller is defeating the dv quality of your camcorder.

Once the avi capture is complete you will need to open the captured file into a program that will "finish" or "render" or process that avi file to the base for standard definition dvd which is mpeg2.

Let's say you are using ULead Video Studio. Have camcorder turned on and open Video Studio and select new project and then capture. In capture setting be sure avi is selected. Press play on your camcorder and capture the video.

Then open that captured file into the timeline of Video Studio. If you are doing no editing or transitions or effects or etc. then click on "finish" menu and select highest quality PAL mpeg2 and click okay - OR - you can select "create dvd" and ULead video studio will render the avi file and prompt you to insert a blank dvd and it will burn it out for you.

I'm trying to hit the highlights to save space. Capturing and Editing and Rendering seems complex but with practice and familiarity with the software it's pretty simple. Same with dvd creation software for chapter menu creation and etc.

Please use other software than something from Microsoft - capture as .avi.

Keep us posted here - also wait cause others smarter than I will queue up and post to help you.
    goodluck

If you have 512mb ram, and an 80 gig hdd running vista you dont even come close to having enough power to do what your asking your pc to do. How fast if your processor??

Ive used windows dvd maker and it works on this pc 3gig ram, lots of SATA hdd space and core 2duo 2ghz.

I wouldnt use it regularly however. Let us know.

Seems you are just beginning to get into the fun and challenge of video manipulation and editing on a PC. Don't fret a lot of the small stuff - keep it simple.

Probably correct that you have a PC problem if it is running on Vista cause Vista is a RAM hog. IMO - you need a Gig just for running Vista and basic associated applications and at least another Gig for everything else.

I only run Vista on a laptop used only for Email, web browsing and office type programs. Everything else and specially video and editing done via our PCs running XPPro. One day a Vista will be preferred but today if I could I'd tell you to run out while you still can and buy a copy or two of XPPro.

I do have enough experience to share that consumer editing software is NOT RAM intensive. I have captured, edited, rendered the projects to be ready for dvd creation and my PC never was using more than 300meg (including Windows).

I do have enough experience to share that consumer editing software IS processor intensive. While I did hours and hours of edited projects with an old P4 1.5gig CPU chip it was really slow and something 3gig or faster is better.

If you are sticking with Vista you need more RAM. If you are upgrading RAM you may as well pay for a couple of 2 gig sticks and that 4Gig or RAM will last you as long as you have the PC.

Then I still urge you to download the free trials of editing software. Moviemaker does some basic things nicely but it is NOT a true Movie Maker application.
    goodluck