Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie--Help importing Avi files into Vegas 6?

Default Newbie--Help importing Avi files into Vegas 6?

so i've been using vegas 6 here for a few months and i just recently tried to import a file format avi? but it doesn't recognize it at all not even audio. so i figure i need a certain codec. but which exact one do i need? and if i download this codec, will my vegas just automatically acknowledge it? this will help me out sooo much! thanks in advance for any help!

Smile

Wow, something I can answer (hopefully):

I had exactly the same problem, I have Sony Vegas 6, and I rip most of my dvds to .avi files on my computer. However, the codec in the .avi files is not always compatible with Vegas and this is why you don't see the video or maybe you only see the sound portion? What you need to do is convert your codec to one that works in Vegas, for me, this is DivX.
    If you don't have it, it is readily available, just google it and download the components.
    Next thing is: you will need the converter. Mine is called 'Avic100' - again google it and download, it takes up zip on your hard drive.
    Actually having a look at it now...try "AVI 4 CC Code Changer"
    In the "Four CC Description Code box : type what the original codec of the .avi file is, or there is a folder icon you can use to search for your file and it will automatically put it in for you once you select it.
    In the 2nd box, Four CC Used Codec- type in the new codec that will enable you edit .avi in Vegas- for me this is Divx, I haven't tried the others that are listed but feel free to I guess. Otherwise type in "Divx" then press apply and it's done and should work in Vegas.
    I hope this works for you as I had a heck of a meltdown over it and sorry for this rather long post, good luck with it!

Blog Entries

Top answer.

Vegas is one of the more tolerant editors when it comes to wierd codecs, but with sooo many variations of codec and wrapper some will inevitably not work - conversion is the soloution.

4. Default

download Morgan Multimedia JPEG Codec

heres link : Morgan Multimedia - Home of the MM MJPEG video codec.

Unhappy Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

I've got Sony Vegas Pro 8.0, and I'm totally new to it!! The only video editing program I have ever used is Windows Movie maker...

I've got WMV video clips, but I can't import them into Sony Vegas - It says the format is not recognized...Is there a way to use WMV?

I'd really appreciate any help!!
    Thanks in advance =)

Blog Entries

Installing a cosec pack, such as ' nimo ' will usually sort this. Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    I've got Sony Vegas Pro 8.0, and I'm totally new to it!! The only video editing program I have ever used is Windows Movie maker...

I've got WMV video clips, but I can't import them into Sony Vegas - It says the format is not recognized...Is there a way to use WMV?

I'd really appreciate any help!!
    Thanks in advance =)
    Hmm, I'm assuming the wmv files are avi also like most- but avi is actually a container. The codec you need your clips to be in is Divx, which can be dowwnloaded from here: Download the DivX Codec and DivX Player - DivX Movies
    Make sure you install it correctly. That is the codec that works for me though a lot of people don't "approve" of editing in that codec, I use it anyway. I have found that Xvid and real media files are not a great match for Vegas either.

Otherwise, see the above post I made- a codec converter that will change all your clips to Divx magically and will have them work in Vegas. You may find that the audio ofthe video clips will not play- again, avi. is not the best codec to edit with for this reason, but I am lucky I am able to import it separately from another source.

Hope this helps

Blog Entries

Ermm, could someone either confirm my understanding or put me right, please.

Surely dv-avi (dvsd) would be the codec of choice for editing, having intra-frame compression only? If not I've been grossly misleading members of my video club for the last 18 months.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post

Surely dv-avi (dvsd) would be the codec of choice for editing, having intra-frame compression only? If not I've been grossly misleading members of my video club for the last 18 months.
    That's why I said .avi is a container: but you're right I should have specified- there are MANY types of avi files and yes DV avi is great to edit with as far as I have heard. Whereas avi files with the Xvid codec for example are not great to edit with ie. they don't work well, even with Divx it's not the greatest, because of the lack of audio, but I make it work for my editing.

Sorry for the confusion!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post

I suspect the above may be rhetorical, but for sure it would be best to not edit on stuff like divx or wmv with thier temporal compression and k frames.

I convert all my stuff like that to sd dv to edit on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast