Thread: Canon XM2 - widescreen or not?

Blog Entries

Default Canon XM2 - widescreen or not?

That is the question! Some blurb says the XM2 differs from the XM1 in that it has 16:9 (as well as a widescreen frame so you can frame 4:3 stuff and letterbox it) other reviews say it's not true widescreen.

Can someone with real life experience please explain?
    Tim

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Thanks for the link Mark. So it seems the XM2 is true widescreen (720x576 rectangular pixels)
    Tim

Blog Entries

There's no cropping of the image, no.

I'm not sure if I can draw anyones attention back to this post but I have read on another forum that the xm2 is not true widescreen and so when you edit and make it widescreen some of the image quality is lost, as its being cropped?

I'm confused now.

Can someone please clarify as I am trying to decide whether to go for the xm2, or not.

Thanks

Caline

Blog Entries

No, I understand that it is not cropped. The XM2 is a very good camera and highly recommended.

Blog Entries

My big jvc is 4:3 - 16:9 cropped.

If I crop in camera I cant really see any loss - cropping in post is deffo wrose.

But yes - the xm2 is ' proper job ' - but does it crop 4:3?

Thanks for that.
    Well, I finally got tired of reading reviews and getting confused and have just got off the phone from Warehouse express and have a brand spanking new XM2 on its way to me as we speak!!
    Now, I need some advice for a microphone as I understand the built in one isn't too great, and picks up some tape sound?
    What will be the best one for weddings/events at about a 150-200 budget? Was looking at DM50, DM100 or one from the Rode variety. Some advice would be really really appreciated.

Many thanks

Caline

from the canon website:

16.9 guides - allows accurate 16.9 framing when shooting so that image can be cropped.

not sure now, but the camera's coming now!! hehe
    Last edited by caline; 11-10-2008 at 06:46 PM.

Hi Caline

The Canon website does indeed say

16.9 guides - allows accurate 16.9 framing when shooting so that image can be cropped.

From lots of reading I've done (we're thinking of getting an XM2 or Sony DCR-VX2100e for stuff were doing at work), then I think the cropping is done in post, and the pixel count of the chip is plenty high enough to ensure that the W/S aspect ratio of 1280 x 720 is more than catered for, if you get my drift. By my 'back of the envelope' calculations, and even allowing for 400k total pixels (Canon actually quote 470k, I think) then when cropped to W/S proportions, I would expect 2280x1710 pixels. Now I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination, and the info is so confusing on all the different models that its taken me all day to get that far, but I'm finally satisfied that both the cameras I mention shoot at 4:3 but are well capable of being cropped to 16:9.

Which I guess explains why, on all those 'making of' extras you get on a dvd, you see people poring over monitors that are 4:3 format with W/S crop lines on them.

I use Vegas 6, and the Pan/Crop tool allows auto cropping to the right format, though not sure yet if I can apply it globally to all clips or if it needs to be applied individually.

At least - that's how I understand it. Hope that helps you, and if anyone else wants to confirm if I'm wright or tell me I'm wrong, I would appreciate it!