Thread: Capturing VHS video

Default Capturing VHS video

I have been using some old software - VideoWave 4 - to capture from VHS tapes using a composite video signal into a cinergy Hybrid T USB XS TV card.

This software works great for this, but I would prefer to use more up to date software such as VirtualDub. However, I find that whenever I try to use any other SW the picture jumps around and flickers. It seems very strange to me that a piece of software from about 8 years ago works superbly and anything else is useless for capturing VHS.

Anybody any ideas about what is happening here and how to get over it?
    Thanks

Its probaly a compatibilty issuse with the hardware, if the software is 8 years old i'm guessing the pc is about the same.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

I wouldn't be too quick to think PC age would be a cause without some specific sign of trouble.

Until two weeks ago when, I think, part of chip set on MB shorted out, I continued to use a PC I built about 7 years ago as my capture "engine". Across the years I used a dazzle pci capture card and then for last four years an ATI a-i-wonder video card - literally hundreds and hundreds of hours captured, played, edited and rendered to various file types with zero problems.

Both my captured analog video and dv captured video files open and perform on a variety of PCs with different OSs from win2000 to Vista.

Doesn't mean you don't have a capture device or pc problem but if the OS boots okay and applications open and work okay your pc is probably okay.

I would burn some of the video to disc and try opening them in another pc. To eliminate software I would probably download a few of the free trial versions of Pinnacle and Adobe and ULead and see how they handle playing the files.

I am not a fan of using USB for capturing any kind of video but analog low res stuff from vhs tape should transfer fine.

My final curiosity would be what were the capture settings for your video transfer and then what file type and resolution did you use for the capture?

Since I am in the US I always captured best NTSC for analog video which imo was MPEG2 - 720X480 resolution. Let us know file type and resolution of your captured video files.
    goodluck

What i'm saying is the specs might not be enough for the software, he really gave no information to go on.
    Wil

Software Used:

Didn't mean any offense - I;m not expert at any of this stuff so I just wade and ask basic questions and try to share an experience if it will help.

You're right - a lot more information would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by imjay View Post
    Didn't mean any offense - I;m not expert at any of this stuff so I just wade and ask basic questions and try to share an experience if it will help.

You're right - a lot more information would be helpful.
    No offence taken, I probaly should have been clearer in my response.
    Wil

Software Used:

OK, my hardware is newish (bought late 2006) and has a 3.33 Ghz processor with 1GB of memory and 2 hard drives: internal SATA 149GB and external 298GB.
    The only reason I'm using the old software is because it's the only thing that works perfectly for capturing VHS.
    I use Movie Factory 6 plus to produce the DVD from the captured video and that all works perfectly. It's just that I'm mystified that these other pieces of software won't capture properly for me.
    Thanks

PS When I use videowave I can capture as AVI uncompressed (very large files) or MPEG-2 (much smaller) and both are fine. I am in UK so capture at 720x576 PAL format 25 fps. When TRYINg to use say Virtual Dub I use these same settings.
    Last edited by ictaylor; 02-20-2008 at 10:13 AM.