Thread: Compositing mode issues...

1. Question Compositing mode issues...

Hey guys,

Got a "Compositing Mode" question...

When using different compositing modes on one video track on top of another in Vegas 8, is there any way of having it so that only the events *within* the video track are affected, and not the whole track? I ask because I've got several video files (or "events") with white backgrounds that require me to use a different compositing mode to the video files I have on black backgrounds, and I can't get the two to work together.

I could also be doing something wrong...

So... Any suggestions?

MS.

Blog Entries

Not sure I totally grok what you mean all that compositing stuff, dodge, burn and so on is on the edge of my knowledge envalope.

Can it be fixed by making compositing childs of the tracks.

This may be one for grazie...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    This may be one for grazie...
    Thanks Mark -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Not sure I totally grok what you mean
    Me too ..

However. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Schmuck View Post
    When using different compositing modes on one video track on top of another in Vegas 8, is there any way of having it so that only the events *within* the video track are affected, and not the whole track?
    When I want to do something similar, I use the Compositing Enevelope: Right Click on Track Header and "Insert/Remove Envelope" > Composite Level.

This now works like ANY other Envelope. You can ADD and adjust POINTS when and where you want the Compo to be executed and come into play. You can adjust just HOW the Compo comes into play: Hold, Smooth, Linear etc etc . . And here, for you, it would be HOLD. this would determine the length - THAT that Event - your Compo has the affect you want. Now depending on just WHAT compo you have will also reflect that control. However, depending on WHAT compo you have used, what you see maybe unexpected - what you are doing is controlling the amount/presence of a Compo - not the elimination of it - it is still there. It maybe be set at ZERO but it is still available.

So, we now have a control of the actual compositing when, where and how much of the control we want - this is a good thing. And, as Mark touched on the Parent/Child option, what you could now envisage is that you could now also apply CompoEnvels to subordinate tracks so that they TOO can affect ON/OFF or over time the AMOUNT of the Compo level you want! So now things get really interesting .. Not only can we experiment with the TOP level track we can now set up subordinate tracks that will ALSO affect Parent tracks - and over time.

Much to do and experiment with here.

And this is exactly what Vegas excels at doing. PLUS there is no need to render this work prior to Previewing.

Now, and not being able to see exactly WHAT exactly you are trying to achieve, some screen-grabs here would assist - you may just wish to separate out the NON-Compo Events to their OWN track - only a thought. It is WHAT you want to achieve and the level of complexity you are creating - yeah?

Intersting project. Using Mixed and interplay of Parent/Child CompoEnvels takes Vegas and the Vegas-User onto a whole new and exciting plateau of creativity.

Let's see those screen grabs!? Yeah?

Grazie

4. Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    When I want to do something similar, I use the Compositing Enevelope: Right Click on Track Header and "Insert/Remove Envelope" > Composite Level.
    Grazie, mate - This is exactly what I was after! Thanks again for your invaluable help. I don't know why I didn't think of this before... I always seem to become too involved with the content I'm working on to remember how to work the damn NLE!

MS.