Thread: mpeg playing/editing issues

Default mpeg playing/editing issues

I have recently purchased a sony dcr-sr72e but it seems that there is nothing I can do with with the files it creates. I can only play the files correctly with the sony picture motion browser. When i open it in windows media player 11 - the footage is badly deinterlaced and the aspect ratio has changed from 16:9 to 5:4 and when I open it in vlc media player - the aspect ratio is correct bt it is badly deinterlaced again.

I also cannot open it with any editing software?

hope to hear from you soon

This camcorder like many of the new type that records to a hard drive only captures in MPEG2 non dv quality.

I am not sure what file type/format the video shows but it is standard definition mpeg2.

You should be able to transfer from the camcorder output to your pc's input even using usb2 connection and there should be a standard usb-a or mini usb-b output on the camcorder. I believe this Sony model comes with a little docking unit that has composite and usb outputs for connection to your computer.

Okay - transfer of video from your camcorder should give you an MPEG2 file on your pc's hard drive that should be compatible with most all consumer video editing programs. You should be able to open your video files in like Pinnacle or Adobe or Ulead video studio and your video should also play okay in most all standard definition video player programs.

Sony is, however, notorious for making their products and outputs incompatible with other manufacturer's products - they believe that if they make their stuff proprietary and hard to work with then you will just buy Sony other stuff to go with you camcorder. I like and have many high quality Sony products but I don't like the way the intentionally make their stuff incompatible with a lot of other stuff.

What is the file extension of your video? .mpeg or something else? You can always use a file transcoder like mediacoder (free, safe and available via online download) to change your raw video file to something more compatible for editing and playing - like standard mpeg2.
    goodluck
    Last edited by imjay; 02-12-2008 at 01:59 AM.

well the extension is .mpeg and it says its an mpeg2. i have got round it for the moment by writing it directly to a dvd (which also doesnt play at the correct aspect ratio) and then ripping and converting the .VOB to a .WMV on another computer. there is quite a big loss of quility but it is fine for my purposes for the moment.

any help directly editing the .mpeg would be much appreciated though

a lot of these files are openable through Quicktime and can be reconverted to your settings. or even better. you can use the log and transfer function on final cut pro to make them optimized for editing or even better than that. you can use Compressor (apple) or sorenson squeeze to convert all of the files to just about whtever filetype you desire.

Geeze - glad you found a sort of work around but every time a file is processed/transcoded/rendered there can be a bit of loss with each step.

Your software should have capture settings that will match the resolution and aspect ratio of your native capture in your camcorder.

For example, ULead Vide Studio when "new project" selected allows you access to project settings and tools so you can, for example, designate type of capture resolution and file type and aspect ratio. That should take care of your core problem.

Same is true after content is edited and rendered out as mpeg2 for dvd authoring. For example, I use DVDitPE for dvd creation and when "new project" selected it asks basic project settings questions like - 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio needed.

Most all software should have project settings menus that will let you select the resolution, file type and aspect ratio so that you can capture as you desire.

yes final cut pro definitely gives you that option on cersion 6 but if the format that the camcorder records in gives you issues, its sometimes better to use the media manager function on Final Cut Pro to make a new project with media files optimized and already rendered for editing on FCP.

i dont have a mac though :(

the thing is while the camcorder is plugged in to the pc i cannot play anything on the camera so i cant capture the video at a specific resolution. it just writes it direct to its hdd and i cant play the files properly.

i have found a codec that i can use with pinnacle studio 11 that allows me to edit it fine but its still annoying i cant play the files directly with windows media player.

yea then if thats the case. if your not on avid, then youll probably have to use the software that came with that then. just like the senior member said, sony is known to block other software and hardwares!