Thread: VRO to MPG - Changing extension

Default VRO to MPG - Changing extension

I'm told once I do this my file should play OK in Windows Media Player. However, I can't copy the VRO file from a DVD (recorded on a DVD Recorder) to my hard drive as I keep getting the following message -

'Error copying file to folder - Cannot copy VR_MOVIE: Data error (cyclic redundancy check) '

Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this error? Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Blog Entries

Sounds like just the job!. Thanks!

Home made dvd or commercially prepared dvd?

This kind of error message sometimes encountered when folks try to copy encrypted dvd files. Easy enough to get around but need to ask that.

I am no expert in this but I have never seen a file that by simple changing the extension in the file "name" doing anything. I've always thought to change file type and extension requires a file transcoding.

I use a free file transcoder called mediacoder - safe and, again, free and I have yet to find a file type or codec that it didn't recognize and one step change to whatever file type you need to work with.

You can google to find it and it is also recommended at the kim kommando website in the downloads section.
    goodluck

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imjay View Post
    I am no expert in this but I have never seen a file that by simple changing the extension in the file "name" doing anything. I've always thought to change file type and extension requires a file transcoding.
    From a coding point of view the following applies:

(1) When an end user attempts to open up a file, the open file dialogue box may limit the selection to those of an allowable format. All this does it check the extension of the file. To get around this, just chose the 'select all' option under the extension setting. If this is not available, then you need to chaneg the extension type.

(2) The application coding may be set up to reject files that don't fit within a certain array of extensions. Not often done, but sometimes codes want to stop people from importing a file they don't want you to! Again, chamging the extensions allows you to import, but that's not to say it will work.

Marc
    I agree with you completely and I probably misunderstood the question focusing on the Title - changing vro to mpeg - again, not a bright bulb in this string of lights.

I don't understand why a file extension or type would have to be changed to simply copy from one storage device to another but I am also in the dark re DVRs having never had a use to acquire one.

I have also seen people encounted the data error (cyclic redundancy check) when doing a number of operations - one of which is trying to mess with encrypted files without going through the step to decrypt them.

Thanks for helping me see the core issue more clearly.
    Jim