Thread: Simulate 16:9 format within 4:3 video

Default Simulate 16:9 format within 4:3 video

Hi all,

I'm using Ulead MedioStudio 7 pro and would like to achieve the following:

Is it possible to crop, simulate, or convert a video shot in 4:3 format to widescreen 16:9 screen ratio in post production, during the edit process? This assumes the camcorder is NOT 16:9 format capable.

I seem to recall a post that mentioned this was possible in post production using Ulead MediaStudio 7 pro. I checked, and the only thing I see is a 'cropping' feature. I tried it on a few clips, but all it did was squeeze or stretch the original frame. It did not place the usual black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, as expected.

I'm looking for a way to simulate the 16:9 screen ratio within the standard 4:3 screen format--- in post production. Perhaps this just means a way to place the black bars over the existing 4:3 clip.

Anyone know if (and how) this can be accomplished :

Assuming that your final output is a 16:9 television, then place your 4:3 clip on the timeline, then right-click the clip and select 'media source options'. From the drop down list select 'Keep Aspect Ratio - no letterbox' and click OK. You can see the effect of this (and the other media source options) in the Preview Window, although I prefer to preview these on the camcorder itself as the black bars are evident.

If your final output is a 4:3 television and you want the black bars on 4:3 clip then your only option is to place a solid black colour on tracks V1 and V2 and use a moving path to position them.

Post back and let us know jow you get on!

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Quote Originally Posted by purejammy
    If your final output is a 4:3 television and you want the black bars on 4:3 clip then your only option is to place a solid black colour on tracks V1 and V2 and use a moving path to position them.

Post back and let us know jow you get on!
    Purejammy,

Yes, the 4:3 output with black bars is exactly what I wanted.

I followed your guideline and started working with the V1/V2 tracks using a moving path to position the bars. There was a little learning curve, but got the bars setup with no problems. The output is great

Thanks for your response and advice.