Thread: TMPGEnc: Best Settings for VHS,8mm,& Digital 8 Scenarios

Default TMPGEnc: Best Settings for VHS,8mm,& Digital 8 Scenarios

Hi all! Have read so much here and want to get confirmation on my ever-changing direction, not to mention any other hints as to the best TMPGEnc settings to maximize quality(1st) and space (2nd) for my 3 scenarios. My basic process for all 3 would be this:
    1. Capture to AVI File
    2. Edit/clip with Arcsoft's Showbiz, save as AVI
    3. Use TMPGEnc
    4. Author and burn with Sonic MyDVD

Scenario A : VHS source
    a. capture avi using wintv usb (avi not bad looking at all)
    b. quality of audio is not critical (ie. can I double movie amount with non-pcm?)
    c. Sonic MyDVD must merge the TMPGEnc video and audio, right?

Scenario B: 8mm analog from old Sony
    a. capture avi using firewire

Scenario C: Digital 8 from Sony Digital
    a. capture avi using firewire
    b. filmed in both 4:3 and 16:9 so they will be seperate
    c. have 16:9 tv to display 16:9 accordingly, fyi

Thanks for everything, especially you Marc!

PS. I have burned one DVD from VHS, using the MyDVD to encode from avi. The video is 'acceptable' for such an old home movie, but I'm hoping TMPGEnc will do a better job. I have not watched the whole DVD yet, however, to see if there are audio sync problems.

PSS. I have printed and reviewed TMPGEnc guides.

Blog Entries

Yep, sounds like you're on the right lines... time for you to make some movies

Oh, and don't forget to enter the competition

Default Problem with Showbiz possibly....

Well, I encoded with TMPGenc (in my Scenario A) and it looked the same as if I had encoded with MyDVD. I went back and checked my avi files. I am noticing that the saved avi, as a result of Showbiz editing, appears to have diminished the quality of the captured avi a bit. Comments? Also, the captured avi (320 x 240 from VHS) looks great when its small on the computer but gets worse with full screen (obviously, right?). I'm displaying finished product on a big screen tv to boot. So, what should I attack first?
    a. will see if I can make a difference with Showbiz settings somehow
    b. would better capture card really make a difference

Actually, this is what I want to know... has anyone ever captured a VHS, burned it to DVD, played it on 48" big screen (4:3), and did NOT see noticeable drop in quality (pixel blocks(?) everywhere) ?

PS. I"m wondering if my capture dropped too many frames too.

Blog Entries

If you can, try capturing at a higher resolution. Some people would say that it won't make much difference as VHS res is low anyhow, but it WILL in my humble opinion. If you can capture to a lossless codec (or even DV), using DVD standard res, then convert to MPEG2 (DVD compliant), the untrained naked eye won't notice a difference.

Default VHS Capture

I was thinking the same exact thing.......after my previous post, I went back into Showbiz and found that I had created its avi with the 320 x 240 setting. I forced it to do the DV avi, 740 x 480, and it now appears like the original avi. Even though it would help my finished product a little bit (I'm guessing), I still think my main problem is the capture. I may also have a problem in that the WinTV USB appears to only capture 320 x 240, but I'm not positive. I do remember a lot of frames dropping the first time I captured (something like 8-10% I think).

I have since changed my display to 16-bit, from 32-bit, so hopefully that will help alittle, and I do have a seperate harddrive. But, my computer is also an old 933MHz, in case that is affecting my capture. Does capturing from a pci card hold inherent advantages to usb?

I'll keep reading and experimenting but add'l comments welcome!

Thanks again!

Blog Entries

The very best results a through an external analgue to digital convertor. It's just a shame the world is't a smaller place, as I'd be happy to convert your VHS footage if you could pop it around

Default Update using WinTv USB for VHS

Well, I eventually burned the result from the Showbiz AVI file, as noted above, and it actually looks much better than my first 2 tries. (I'm also wondering if I had an Interlace setting wrong before too). In fact, I may even call it a very acceptable output. And considering I only spent $30, after rebates, on the WinTv USB, I consider this a 'win' situation, huh?

Now, I'm thinking about trying something else, besides plunking down $175 for the ADVC-50. The WinTv USB does only capture in 320 x 240, but is that the software doing that? I'm thinking about using the Showbiz software, with the WinTv USB, to see if I can capture at higher levels to see if it will make any difference, or atleast cut down on the dropped frames.

Again, though, I think I have an acceptable solution, and that was watching on a 48" screen! Not bad at all.

> capture VHS using WinTv USB at 320 x 240 to avi
    > edit and save avi (DV 740 x 480) with Showbiz
    > encode with TMPGenc
    > author and burn with Sonic MyDVD

I still don't know for sure if the TMPGenc has done better than MyDVD yet. One more burn would conclude that. Although, I need to test on my Digital 8 as well.

Hope this info helps someone else too. Will update again later.

well, if youve got some cash to drop (or a night or find the illegal copy of it online... it will take a while) you can get Canopus Pro Coder. Which is the best freaking MPEG encoder. i bow down to it, for sure. The MPEG looks even a tad bit better than the AVI in my opinion.... or maybe im just seeing things
    Frank Sinatra - \"Thats Life, Biatch\"