Thread: MPEG2 and compression

Default MPEG2 and compression

Hi
    I have a miniDVD camcorder (yes, maybe I should have got DV, but never mind). I've done some simple edit in Adobe Premiere Elements and burned to DVD. The image quality on the DVD is similar to viewing directly from the miniDVD but shows shakiness where there is camera movement, which there isn't when viewing with the miniDVD. Is this just a matter of different degrees of compression? I'm not clear if the file format remains as MPEG during capturing, editing, rendering, encoding, burning, etc or if some other format is involved (I found some .avi files in the Premiere folders on my PC.)

Also I burned a copy of the DVD with my DVD software (Sonic DigitalMedia) and the copy is of inferior quality - it breaks up and pixellates - which seems odd.

Any help welcome.

Assume you are connecting cable between your camcorder and pc to transfer the video and you are using usb.

Make sure your pc capture setting is no less than mpeg2 720X480.

After editing make sure you are rendering to no less than mpeg2 720X480 type file. Your dvd image should not look much different than your edited file playing on your pc.

Sonic makes good dvd creation software - I use DVDitPE.

If you are doing all of the above then I'm sorry I took the space and didn't help.

Make sure your pc capture setting is no less than mpeg2 720X480.

After editing make sure you are rendering to no less than mpeg2 720X480 type file. Your dvd image should not look much different than your edited file playing on your pc.

---------
    This looks helpful but I'm not sure where I check these settings. Rendering (whatever that is!) seems to take place automatically.

Thanks.