Thread: Playing DVD-Rs on a PS3

Default Playing DVD-Rs on a PS3

Anyone had any joy with this?

Just got a PS3 and, so far, every single DVD-R that I've burnt has refused to play with a "Video Cannot be Played (80029941)" error.

Annoying really as I'd love to see some of my own work upscaled to 1080.

Here's my workflow. maybe someone can tell me what's wrong.

Capture 1080i from FX1 using Cineform intermediate. Edit in Premiere Pro v2 (with Aspect HD plugin). Export out as MPEG2. Build video DVD in Encore v2 and produce (what Encore refers to as) a DVD folder. This is basically a folder on hard drive called VIDEO_TS with all the VOBS etc inside it. This is then burnt to a Verbatin DVD-R using Nero OEM v 6.6.0.18.

Anyone any ideas what might be happening here?

Alan

Might be a false alarm here. Just tried burnign another copy but using the DVD video option in Nero rather than the DVD ROM option. I still get the same VIDEO_TS directory on the disk with the same files in it but this one plays ok.

Anyone know why there should be a difference?

I am not a gamer and wasn't aware that the PS line did up converting. I thought my son the "computer genius and game wizard" told me that his PS3 doesn't have native 1080p output and only his Xbox360 has 1080/60p native output but I could be mistaken.

Creating a dvd folder does make for more error free and reliable dvd files and sounds like you are then opening Nero - added the folder files to the workspace and then burning our the DVD using that dvd from file feature.

I assume your discs play okay on your non game system dvd players and drives and I can share that dvd-r discs I have created with DVDitPE seem to play perfectly well on my son's PS3 and Xbox - even decrypted and compressed movies via "shrink" which uses the Nero burn engine.

May I ask have you tried playing commercial dvd-rom movies on the PS3?

Is it possible your unit has a firmware or other drive fault keeping it from recognizing your home grown content? I would take a couple of my discs and trot down to the big box store like BestBuy where they normally have game systems connected to their big wall of flat panel tvs and if your stuff plays there then you may have a firmware or player fault.

I don't recall if PS3 allows firmware updates but I know the Wii does and I recall XBox also so I would ask if you have engaged with the game website for possible patch or firmware downloads.

You are sharper with this stuff than I and I assume you have tried all of the above but since I have burned about a zillion different dvd-r programs I thought I would share my simple and basic trouble shooting protocols.

Soon as I know our son is conscious (not til at least noon EDT since it's Saturday) I'll phone him and ask him. He is a network engineer at a major university and all the IT staff seem to concentrate on is game playing.
    goodluck
    Last edited by imjay; 02-02-2008 at 02:56 PM.

PSOne games and burn them
    I have a large collection of of PSOne games on my PC in mostly BIN/IMG/ISO formats.
    I put these on my PC so I would never have to actually take my discs, which I love & cherish, out of the cases anymore because I fear for "wear & tear".

My question is...
    If I burn these games to backup Discs (CD-R), will my PS3 recognize them as playable games?
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 12-29-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Spammy Links removed

Quote Originally Posted by soleda26 View Post
    I have a large collection of of PSOne games on my PC in mostly BIN/IMG/ISO formats.
    I put these on my PC so I would never have to actually take my discs, which I love & cherish, out of the cases anymore because I fear for "wear & tear".

My question is...
    If I burn these games to backup Discs (CD-R), will my PS3 recognize them as playable games?
    Doesn;t matter whether it did ir didn;t. PS1 and PS2 games won;t run on a PS3. The kit is not backwards compatible. Bummer but there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by soleda26 View Post

My question is...
    Even your PSone wouldn't recognize it. You'd need a chip installed into your psone to be able to play burned games. The first playstation 3's to come out WERE backwards compatable.