Thread: Panasonic VDRD 220 mini dvd Editing.

Default Panasonic VDRD 220 mini dvd Editing.

My wife has a Panasonic VDRD 220 and wishes to edit the mini DVD disc using the PC BEFORE finalising the disc. Is this possible, and if so please advise how? Thanks.

I haven't used that particular camera but if it has a USB connection then you may be able to connect it to the computer, and if you got capture software with it, you may be able to replay the disc in the camera and capture it onto the computer hard drive. Other than that you may be forced to finalise your discs if you wish to play them back on the computers hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    I haven't used that particular camera but if it has a USB connection then you may be able to connect it to the computer, and if you got capture software with it, you may be able to replay the disc in the camera and capture it onto the computer hard drive. Other than that you may be forced to finalise your discs if you wish to play them back on the computers hard drive.
    Many thanks for your advice. It hasn't got a USB connection. I think we will finalize the disc then load it onto the computer and edit it, then copy it back to the original disc or another DVD, having formatted it first.

No USB connection, Panasonic are getting tight fisted with their recent cameras.

At panasonic.com tech specs for this camcorder show there is a USB 2.0 output.

Look closer - it is a usb "mini b" so you would need a usb mini-b to usb-a type cable. Do a google for usb mini-b jack or cable picture (if you still can't find this output) and you can see what it looks like.USB Driver
    EDITED AGAIN to a dd this usb driver info in case you have lost the software that came with the camcorder.

MotionDV STUDIO 5.3E LE for DV

Remember that this camcorder records in mpeg2 720X480 only so you should get a good transfer via usb.

Camcorder also has composite outputs and you can probably get almost as good a quality capture since your source file is mpeg2.

Look closely for that little USB mini-b camera jack and good luck!!

EDITED to add - once you transfer your raw camcorder files to your PC don't dare burn it back out to a min-dvd disc. Take my advice and even before you edit burn the raw captured file to a dvd data disc for archiving. THEN you/she can edit and make your dvd.

Final thought is a personal prejudice - camcorders that write straight to a mini-disc are intented for simple folk to use so they can remove the mini-disc and have something to play that they can just put in their dvd player and mpeg2 capture quality is not anything special so if and when you decide to upgrade then I suggest miniDV minimum quality.
    Jim
    Last edited by imjay; 02-03-2008 at 10:20 PM.

Imjay, many thanks for excellent advice. We found the USB socket on the camcorder, and you know what, I actually already had a cable for it. Its my fault, I should not have taken my wife's assertion that it did not have a USB socket without checking for myslef. By the way, the link you posted did not work, I got an error 500. Is there another link? We did not get a software DVD with the Camcorder. Thanks again.
    Last edited by GFK; 02-04-2008 at 02:45 PM.

Hey - REALLY GLAD I was able to help and thank you for taking the time to let us all know that the forum was helpful!

Okay - this morning I stumbled all around the Panasonic website trying to find a USB driver download and had no luck. Website claims that camcorder was boxed with a disc with USB Driver, Video Streaming Driver and some piece of software called "Motion DVStudio Version 5.3 LE".

First, I would just plug in the cable into your PC and turn on the camcorder and let Windows discover the camcorder. Windows will probably have a driver that will work for this simple usb file transfer. Make sure the transfer is to a hard drive file that you know the name of so you can easily find it or create a new folder and direct the transfer to it.

Second, if you cannot locate your disc I would call the toll free number for Panasonic Customer Support 800-211-7262 and ask for either a download location or if they will send a replacement disc.

If you have not registered your camcorder at panasonic.com I suggest you try that and by registering at their site you may gain access to a higher level of tech support including downloads than was offered to me.

Again, glad it all worked out.
    Jim

Imjay, I am in the UK, and Panasonic England for reasons only known to themselves, do not include the CD Rom with the 220. However, I will take your excellent advice. I will register the camcorder with Panasonic here and then give their tech department a call and take it from there. i will also connect to the PC and report back. The things we have to do for our women!. Thanks again.

Your advice will much appreciated. I would like to know if there is any free download software for Capture/Editing/Finalising mini DVD discs for use with the Panasonic VDRD 220 camcorder. The ones I found have limited functionality.