Thread: shotgun mic for GL1

Default shotgun mic for GL1

what is a good reasonably priced shotgun mic for a GL1 i am trying to get audio while eliminating wind noise in loud cars while driving. haven't been able to master it yet.

Good question.

I'm looking to get a different mic for my Sony TRV33E for the same reasons.

Sorry that I don't know the answer but this questions reminds me that sounds recording, mixing and editing is an artform in its own right. Maybe it should have it's own group/forum?

Anyone?

yes! it should be one! im real good with audio stuff, and i need help sometimes too. go to google and just find something. that would probably work best in what you are looking for. when i get the VX2000 (soon!) im getting sennheiser audio equipment with it (boom mic and shotgun mic) but just look around online i suppose
    Frank Sinatra - \"Thats Life, Biatch\"

the only reason i ask is because i picked up a $70 shotgun mic at best buy (only one they had) to try. the audio sounded better with just the GL1's micraphone then it did with the shotgun

i wouldnt reccomend buying from best buy. they're way overpriced with stuff they dont specialize in, and they're not the best "Camera" shop. just look around online, see if you can find the same mic for 40 on nextag.com

Blog Entries

Your very own forum Gwenny Play nicely with it...

I love my life.

so whats the difference between a $70 mic and a $1000 mic? what do you think i'll need ? i need to pick one up this week. any links or recomendations? doesn't have to plug into a GL1 i need it to work with a mini dv sony too

the difference between a 70 dollar and a thousand dollar mic is sound really. if you buy 200 or over, sound will be pretty good. Just make sure that its compatible with both of the cameras, with the hotfoot or whatever.

Default Its not what you got but how you use it!

The range in quality is massive.

Cheap mics are made to record sound just like cheap PC's can edit video, however quality is another matter. More expensive mics bring a new quality of sound (if used correctly).

For good quality recording you need to purchase a high quality mic. Its not all about brand name but purchasing the right type of mic is essential for value. Shop around for price but from experience I would always say, ask the people who know, find out what mics other production companies and freelancers use. There are so many people offering an opinion that I would stick to higher end users who could well advide you on a mic to fit your budget.

Dont forget, its not just a toy, its not like pointing and pressing record - technique is everything and getting the most out of your kit will reap benefits in the $$$ department.

Its not what you got but how you use it! (thats is so true!!!!! just ask my girlfriend!)