Thread: How can I convert AVI files to DVD-RAM

Default How can I convert AVI files to DVD-RAM

Hi,

I have a few hours of AVI files that came off a Firestore-type device (they're full-rate DV format, effectively the same as you would get by capturing from a camcorder).

I need to convert them to DVD-RAM .vro format as this is what I use to archive video.

Any idea what is the best way to do this?

I've had two thoughts:

(a) Play them out of the firewire port on my PC into my Panasonic HDD DVD recorder, which can then copy them onto DVD-RAM. I'm not sure if this would work...

(b) Do it in software on the PC.

For both options I'll need some PC software, either for the playout or for the compression/encoding. I have Premier Elements 3, but I don't know if it can do either of the above - I've never actually installed it!

Sorry if I'm being stupid or this is an FAQ - I'm not a video expert by any means (as you can probably tell).

Any help much appreciated,

Dave

Blog Entries

You seem to be making this much harder than it needs to be.

Why dont you just copy the DV files onto a DVD, not a playable dvd, a data dvd - this is how many people achive stuff.

Mark is right on target - you shouldn't have to write these files to another device if they are already on your PC's hard drive.

Are these files a collection of short scenes or are they long video files?

If they are a collection of short files you can just copy a few at a time to dvd data discs as suggested.

If they are too big to fit on a single disc without "cutting" them up then you might need to open them into an editing application so you can size them to single layer dvd disc sized pieces or are you into dual layer media burning?

If you need to transcode your BIG avi files to a different format then try a free online utility called mediacoder and easily found via a google search. I have yet to find a file that mediacoder won't transcode in a simple single step or open them in any editing program and render out as whatever file type you prefer.

Forgive me but I'm not sure what you mean by DVD-RAM disc. Do you mean a single write ROM or DVD-R or DVD+R disc or a ReWrite capable disc. I always think of Random Access Memory as referring to a device like a hard drive but I am not the sharpest tool in this particular techno shed.

Let us have a bit more information.

Blog Entries

yes - I am not certain what you mean by dvd ram.

A DVD-RAM disc is a type of rewritable DVD (similar to a DVD+/-RW) favoured by Panasonic. I'm quite amazed that you haven't heard of it.

There's about 100GB of AVI files - about 8 hours worth of footage. It's theatrical performances so is not made up of short clips.

I think I'll install Premier and see what it can do...