Thread: DVD pause and freeze

Question DVD pause and freeze

I have a video capture card (All in Wonder- 9000) that I use to save various TV shows that want to keep. I save them at the highest quality I can get and then use Video Redo plus to edit and save them in MPEG format. I then use Sony DVD architect to creat the DVD for use in my DVD Player. I use DVD-R media made by Sony but when it plays the video hangs and freezes. When I play the video from the MPEG format with my computer it plays fine. Are there parameters that need to be set that I am not doing. I have it set to NTSC. I am new at this and need some help. Thanks

At first I thought you might be trying to work with copy protected television movie or other content cause when you try to capture that kind of content it doesn't work well and when you try to play it the picture freezes and jerks and does other weird stuff.

You say that after you render your video as NTSC mpeg2 it plays well on your computer. What viewer program are you using to watch it?

Since you have a dvd drive in your pc how does your disc play in the drive that "burned" it? I mean that after the disc is completed can you play the dvd in your computer's drive? Like with WinDVD or PowerDVD or whatever players you have on your Hard Drive.

How old is the dvd player that is failing to read your dvd? What is its' make and model?

When I first started editing and creating my own home movie dvds some years ago I often found dvd players that would not play my discs while others played them great and I have captured and edited and burned hundreds of hours of analog and DV video using my old and trusty 7000 series ATI all-in-wonder PCI card. The 7000 series cards with their firewire capable dongle actually capture better than the 8000 and 9000 series.

Are you using component or S-Video or firewire as input to your video capture card?

DVD players, specially older models or very cheap newer models, sometimes aren't made to recognize and support some consumer dvd formats or media.

Each dvd player has a processor and software that determine what kinds of discs it will accept and read - CD? VCD? SVCD? DVD-ROM (commercial movie dvd)? MPEG disc? JPEG Picture Disc? DVD-R or +R? MP3?

Maybe with a little more info it can be figured out cause if it's captured clean and opened and edited and rendered as mpeg2 and then a program transcodes it into a dvd file that burns successfully it should play okay on most players. Something simple but not good is probably going on here.

Again, I've taken enough space.
    goodluck
    Last edited by imjay; 02-01-2008 at 12:27 AM.

Seems like an awful lot of work just to record shows off the tv. A stand alone dvd recorder would do all of the things you listed including editing out the advertisements.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 02-01-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Sometimes people want to use particular equipment for an application just because they can and it's a fun challenge to make it all work instead of following the herd down the easiest trail - who knows why he wants to do this but who cares??

The ATI all-in-wonder video card actually allows a PC harddrive to become a functional DVR including online program guide and etc. and allows direct connection of cable and other tv sources including online streaming content.

I've never used it for that since to me recording mindless rot intended for the "noisy box" a waste of time EXCEPT for the rare occasion when the telly is showing something that I haven't been able to find elsewhere that I bady want.

Anyhow - back to topic - unless you are trying to capture HD I would try MPEG2 720X480 capture setting and see how it goes. Since that mpeg format is basis for standard definition dvd vob files you might get better result.

ssherman uses Video Redo to save the file once as an mpeg and then uses Sony DVD Architect to make a dvd (again another mpeg file) to watch on the tv. The end product is still a dvd of lower quality than if it was only copied once direct from tv onto a recordable disc. Maybe that's why it hangs and freezes due to using so many programs with possibly different encoding settings.

Okeedokee - processing a captured through two generations might cause playing failure so I decided to experiment.

I took my dv camcorder and captured video as avi. I opened that file in a Pinnacle program and rendered it as mpeg2 I opened that file in ULead VS version 6 and re-rendered it as mpeg2. I opened that file in VS version 10plus and re-rendered it as mpeg2. Finally, I opened that file in DVDitPE and created a dvd and burned it. Honestly, I couldn't see much difference between 1st generation and final generation.

Next I captured video from my analog vhs vcr as mpeg2 (Yuk! 200 line old video). I opened that file in ULead VS 6 and re-rendered as mpeg2. I opened that file in Pinnacle and re-rendered as mpeg2. I opened that file in VS version 10plus and re-rendered as mpeg2. Finally, I opened this file in DVDitPE and created a dvd using a different drive/"burner" made a disc.

This dvd played perfectly and looked as sharp as original captured file (still Yuk!).

I did all that and it looks like there may be something else going on besides a two generation processing of a digital video file though I admit I could've been lucky re the above.

I mean nothing negative about other perspectives/ideas and I enjoy the lively inter-play between those with different experiences. Heck, next somebody might say that DLP is superior to LCD!
    goodluck with your issue and don't take anything too seriously - Go Giants!