Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first real attempt.

Default My first real attempt.

I can't begin to count the hours and tantrums this has taken me trying to feel my way around Sony Vegas and my footage was very limited as I was trying to do what was almost impossible.......film in low light to achieve that night time "blue light of the moon" effect.
    The moon itself turned out to be a nightmare!
    And....well, it's just ME in it - BUT...it's one of my original songs so it's fitting I guess that I sing it.
    The only willing models I have in my household is my 12 year old and the dog.
    The teenage daughters run a mile....

So anyway.... Reluctantly, lol, I put this here for anyone willing to critique it - it's really REALLY amateur compared to what I have seen on this board, but I guess you have to start somewhere hey?
    So go ahead and tear it to bits, lol!
    I really am interested in learning how to make better clips and how to edit them properly!

What I WOULD like to ask is why when you upload to Youtube do videos go out of sync, and generally the quality seems....crap!
    I'm presuming it's something to do with how youtube compresses it or something?
    The music too seems to have been affected - lesser quality in this clip....although it's just my mix - my audio engineer hubby could do a WAY better mix.

So...here it is...

Last edited by Tracy; 01-30-2008 at 04:21 PM.

Just one to say.......BRILLIANT, both the video and the song

Well...wow, thanks! I'm floored if you honestly mean that.
    I know I have a LONG way to go, tonnes more to learn....and a new camera and bigger hard drive would be nice too but I think the creative bug has bit me so....... I guess I'll be watching and learning here and asking a milion questions, lol!

I enjoyed watching it aswell, writing original songs is never easy so well done on that front. On the technical side, I wouldn't have placed all the elements in the centre of the screen and would have varied the shot size more on yourself while singing to add more visual variety. The cross fades work well with this type of song to give it an ethereal feel and of course the blue tint from the moon.

Thanks so much! Good suggestions too regarding the size of the "head shots".......and the central-ness of everything.
    Problem being is that for a start I did a STUPID thing by filming the "singing" parts in a kind of "outside room" where I'd strung the only backdrop I had....which happened to be a huge piece of purple velvet.
    As a result the damn thing was flapping in the breeze. (I live in Perth Australia....the windiest city here and it's summer so it's swelteringly hot!)
    So in order to try and detract from my lovely flapping purple velvet backdrop, I had to make the head shots as big as I could.
    And then.......for the other bits....me floating around all "ethereal like" with a veil - (much to the amusement of the children who kept trying to spy on me in fits of giggles)... well, I had to place my ethereal self as centrally as possible or else you could see the outdoor couch....and the archways....and, all kinds of things because my flapping purple velvet backdrop was not WIDE enough to disguise those things.
    Not to MENTION that I was petrified of setting my floaty dress on fire whilst sitting in the middle of a tiny circle of tealight candles!
    Not very "ethereal like" THAT would be!

So all in all what I have learned by making this one is that - I need a bigger backdrop and a BLACK one!
    NOT velvet or anything that will reflect light!
    (Oh yes....and I also had to struggle with the cat who kept pouncing on my backdrop from behind!)
    And ......I need a bigger SPACE.......for when I want full body length shots.
    And probably a fire extinguisher for if ever I decide to light candles and sit among them again.

Appreciate muchly you taking the time to watch and comment!
    Last edited by Tracy; 01-31-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: speling error

Blog Entries

" it's really REALLY amateur compared to what I have seen on this board "

Not it isnt - that was one of the best pop videos I have seen on here recently. And its a great song,and it was wonderfully sung.

Top work.

You are not an amatuer - you are a creative.

Well thank you I just watched your sisters wedding video. Very inspiring.

We have a 6 week camping trip planned later this year - travelling around the most remote places in central Australia that I want to capture like a mini documentary but make it INTERESTING to watch, so I guess I'll be hanging around here trying to learn as much as I can for when the time comes to edit THAT monster!

If you can do some research on the area's you will be visiting then you can focus your movie making efforts on those rather than recording a lot of video you will never use. If they have any scenic views, monuments or characters who might be willing to appear on camera (they always have interesting stories to tell) then that would give your movie some structure.

Oh yes definitely....research! We take the kids out of school for these long trips so it's a hands on/eyes on, learning experience for them.
    And yeah, those outback "characters" are gems. We've met a few already that make you feel like you've fallen down the alice in wonderland rabbit hole
    I just wish we had of had the video camera for the time that I helped a lady rescue her runaway camels in the middle of the outback.
    They just stood there and peed COPIOUSLY while I tried to ask them ...nicely....to move off the road so they wouldn't get hit by a road train. lol!

Runaway camels, somehow I can picture that scene exactly...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast