Thread: Fading in lone clips?

Default Fading in lone clips?

Well this is probably something simple I imagine, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it.
    So, I'm using Sony Vegas 7.......

What I want to do is use a clip on another video track so it merges with the top/main track.
    Composite?
    The thing is..obviously it just appears instead of gently fading in like I want it to and without a transition to MAKE it cross fade in........Well?
    Is it possible to make a lone clip fade in....and out at the start and end ?
    I hope I've explained what I mean clearly enough?

1] Track 2 - Your BG Clip

2] Track 1 - Your "lone" Clip

3] Right Click on Track 1 and GO: Insert/Remove Envelope > Composite Level ( envelope)

4] Adjust the "Level" of Track 1 using the Composite Level Envelope by adding points directly onto the Envelope.

Done!

OK, in adjusting this envelope you CAN use the Automation Settings -excellent tool! OR, use this .. The Envelope Draw Tool. Hold down the SHIFT key and directly DRAW on the Envelope. You will get masses of POINTS occurring, but they will thin out when you release!!!

HTH

Grazie

Blog Entries

No probs.

Right click at far right of the track with the clip on (in a blank area where name ans sliders are), point to 'insert remove envalope', selcet composite level - then a line appears on the track. Add points and drag line as needed to adjust the composite level.

Blog Entries

Ha- funny - me and Grazie posted at the same time - lucky we said the same thing !

Well yeah Mark, but you ADDED something I forgot . . Yah don't really need to click on the track header - click on ANY empty part of the track - sorry I forgot that one . .

Grazie

Blog Entries

Ha - yes but I didnt realise you could click on the header - I always avoid it instinctively.

Blog Entries

Mark and Grazie arte quite right, and this will give you very fine control over your fade. However, a simpler option is available....

As per Grazie - Track 2 has your background track, track 1 has your "lone" clip.
    Hover your mouse over the upper left end of the loan clip until an "arc" appears. That is the "fade" symbol. Click and drag right to where you want your lone clip to be fully faded in. Release.
    Do the same in reverse at the other end for a fade out.
    You can right click on the "fade" to select one of a number of preselected fade types if you want to alter how the fade occurs.
    I do this all the time - I find it much more easily managed than crossfades on one track.
    Tim

Thanks for the replies!
    Actually I figured out how to fade using the method you have suggested here Tim and thought well duh....that was easy, lol!
    The problem was when searching in the help files I was typing 'fade in" and fade out" instead of just "fade".
    That method seems to be working fine for the moment - for what I am doing.
    If I become more daring I will try out Mark and Grazies suggestions
    I really am such a beginner it's not funny. You would laugh if you heard my tantrums when even simple things - like navigating the screens on Vegas ( that sometimes disappear on me!) get me all frazzled!
    I'll finish this damn thing hopefully in THIS century!

Blog Entries

Lol - tantrums - stick with it - I remember taking 2 weeks on a 3 min edit, most of that time was screamning at the screen I seem to remember.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Lol - tantrums - stick with it - I remember taking 2 weeks on a 3 min edit, most of that time was screamning at the screen I seem to remember.
    My wife dreams of me taking only two weeks on a three minute edit
    Last edited by TimStannard; 01-30-2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Can't spell
    Tim