Thread: Weird pixelation on videos, desperately help needed.

Exclamation Weird pixelation on videos, desperately help needed.

Hello everyone.
    I have a trouble that is bugging me for about a year, since I have installed WinXP Media Center Edition.
    From time to time a strange pixelation appears on any video I watch, no matter what video codec that video uses. You can see sample on screens.

I have noticed that Windows itself and even photos are displayed fine, no pixelation, so its not a matter of graphic card drivers. Itís definitely a matter of files that are affecting the way video films are displayed.
    Countless times I have tried solutions like: reinstalling video drivers, reinstalling kodec pack (I use K-Lite Codec Pack, latest version, and itís a good one), system files checking, system cleanup and nothing ever worked.
    The only thing that solved the issue always, was doing a windows repair. But a Windows repair takes me 40 min or more, so I am tired of doing that all the time.
    I am in despair hopping there is a fix for that problem, and may be someone had problems like that and found a solution.
    Iíd deeply appreciate a solution that is less bugging than a windows repair. And of course I donít want to reinstall windows for some serious reasons.
    Thanks a lot in advance anyone that will help.
    Regards.
    The beat never fades!

Blog Entries

All I can see is perfectly normal compression artifacts.

The top 2 pics look like mpeg2 dvd artifacts and the bottom two look like more compressed divx or xvid.

I did not recompress this footage. This is DVD copies that normally would show much more smooth.
    I know 100% there is an strange pixelation.
    The beat never fades!

The resolution of a computer monitor is much higher than a normal tv screen so you will see the pixels appearing especially on diagonal lines, it's called 'staircasing'. Also, if you have any movement in a scene the image will appear more blurred than when still. Those are compression artefacts as Mark says, you can see it more on the title, you see the same thing with high amounts of compression when using JPEG's. If these are copies of DVD's then the copying process may have applied an extra amount of compression and you are stuck with it.

You mentioned you are running XP as your OS but the OS doesn't play the movie file some application does.

Are you using Windows Media Player (hope not) or something else like WinDVD or PowerDVD or something else?

Are your DVDs commercially produced original dvd roms or some sort of decrypted and ripped copy on a dvd- or + R?

There are variables that can affect how movies look and all standard definition dvds are a derivative of mpeg2 called vob.

I watch both commercially burned dual layer movies on pcs running both XP, Win2000 and (God Help Me) Vista and each of these PC uses a different DVD viewing program and I never notice any visual image degradation or pixelation that my weary old eyes can notice though now and then any application can mis-read a disc sector.

I also watch decrypted and "shrunk" or compressed movie dvd and the visual quality and performance is identical to the other EXCEPT that comsumer DVDs burn differently and are more prone to scratches and damage that can cause playback of a scene to skip or pixelate a bit as can the process of decryption, compression from like 8Gig to 4.5Gig and then consumer quality media and burning.

Like Mark I don't see in your still frame grabs a particular problem. Tell us more about the source of the dvds and the program you are using under XP to view them with please.

I have to make on thing clear for you so it will be easier for you to understand me.
    A have been watching any ripped DVDs fine without pixelation until now for half year.
    Now the problem appeared (it happened before two times) and I will do Windows repair thing, the only solution that helped so far, and it will be fine again.
    I was simply hopping there is a better and faster solution than that.
    So, it’s not about videocodecs, DVD ripping quality, etc.
    Thanks.
    The beat never fades!

Blog Entries

If you think about an itch - you have to scratch it....

I dont think further reassurance will help here but everythnig really is fine.

The bottom pic is the worst because the camera is panning fast - this means the limited amount of data is spread more thinly - hence the loss of resoloution.

The top pic shows only staircasing.

I can see these effects on nearly all transmitted digital video if i think aobut it and i hate it - so idont think about it.

This is also the reason that 'old' analogue tv (with a good aerial) looks much better than crappy 2mbit D-mac sattellite.

Various players do a better / worse job of concealing these artifacts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by az0000000 View Post
    Itís definitely a matter of files that are affecting the way video films are displayed.
    Countless times I have tried solutions like: reinstalling video drivers, reinstalling kodec pack (I use K-Lite Codec Pack, latest version, and itís a good one), system files checking, system cleanup and nothing ever worked.
    The only thing that solved the issue always, was doing a windows repair. But a Windows repair takes me 40 min or more, so I am tired of doing that all the time.
    I am in despair hopping there is a fix for that problem, and may be someone had problems like that and found a solution.
    And herein lies your problem. It works fine for a while, then starts to get worse? Then the problem's most probably the plethora of codecs you start to install which are used to decode the video. Some are better than others and it's likely that over time you've installed a shitty decoder which becomes the default. I recommend your do a system restore, then install ONLY SourceForge.net: ffdshow. And then don't touch your codecs! Ever!