Thread: Best way to capture AVI for Premiere Pro

Default Best way to capture AVI for Premiere Pro

Hello,

I use Premiere Pro for everything except video capture. For some reason, even though I have a great PC, the Premiere Pro capture keeps dropping frames. I can edit around them but this is inconvenient.

Temporarily, I am capturing video (AVI) using Pinnacle Studio and then importing it in Premiere Pro.

I really don't know if this is a generic Premiere Pro issue or if I am doing something incorrectly (my other video capture utilities work fine, I would just rather work within Premiere Pro if I can).

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Zam
    Digital Video and Film

If your computer is up to date, the hard disk is defragmented on a regular basis and there are no running apps or utilities during capture then you shouldn't be getting dropped frames. I take it that you are using Firewire to connect your camcorder to the computer? Is your video in standard def or high def? Post the spec of the computer you are capturing on.

Default Capturing AVI

Hello,

My responses are as follows:

- I defrag regularly
    - I use firewire for capture
    - My PC is a Dell 6850 850 MHz P4
    - It has 1GB RAM
    - My 60 GB disk is 50% full and writes at 25Mbps
    - My software is Premiere Pro 1.0 (formerly 7.0) with applicable patches

I just noticed that the premiere pro user groups suggests capturing to a disk that is not the same as the OS disk.

I have a 300GB external drive for backup storage but it only runs at 8Mbps.

I am just not sure what is going on, because Pinnacle and Ulead capture the same footage with no dropped frames (I am using Pinnacle for capture as a workaround).

In general, I have found premiere pro to be rock-solid in all respects. I have no problems with editing or writing to DVD. The PC keeps up just fine at all times and the editing experience is very positive.

Zam
    Digital Video and Film

- My PC is a Dell 6850 850 MHz P4 is this correct that your computer is only running at 850 MHz? It's better to capture onto a second internal hard disk, rather than an external one. Just install your video editing program and whatever files are generated by your editing onto the second IHD and keep the OS and all your other programs and files on the default hard disk, usually C. Which version of Windows are you using?