Thread: New to Vegas, should I use Vegas or something else????

Default New to Vegas, should I use Vegas or something else????

Hello Guys,

I am very new to video editing and just recently purchased a Canon HG10 camcorder and I always liked photography and videography but I never got into the editing part until recently. I have been reading many guides and looking at some tutorials. Since I am starting out and am veru new to this, I was thinking if I should be using sony vegas pro 8.0b which I have downloaded as a trial for 30 days. At the moment just playing around with it for an hour or so, it seems complicated but should I be using this software or something else. Is Sony Vegas suppose to be more of an advanced user software? I have downloaded other trials too such as adobe premiere, Ulead visual studios but I would rather start and stick with one software instead of going through several of them.

What do you guys think or suggest would be better for me?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Vegas is one of the simpler of the more feature rich packages. Everything is simple once you get to grips with how it works. I came to Vegas, like many others, from Pinnacle - arguably THE simplest to learn NLE with features beyond Windows Movie Maker (it was also unarguable THE flakiest NLE available at the time - hence the change). So, I had to unlearn what I'd learned and learn the Vegas way. In the process I also learned the basics of doing things the Premiere way. I didn't like the cluttered screen of the Adobe product, but I'm sure I could have got my mind around it if I stuck with it. What I liked about Vegas was you can do as much or as little as you like (read: as complex or as simple a task as you like) but only the things you're interested in need be on the screen.

I made the switch to Movie Studio. Really likes the way it worked. Really, really liked the way I didn't have to reboot my PC every half an hour and decided to invest in the Pro version after eight months. Never looked back.

Play with the trial. Work through some tutorials to get a real feel for whether you're going to like it or not.

Even when you've done that, the only person who will be able to answer "which will be better for me?" is you. But you'll be making a better informed decision.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Top advice.

Years ago when I got into filmmaking I tried a few editors out. I ran with vegas cos I was comfortable with it after using the same companies music software.

I have found vegas to be powerful, capable, intuitive and stable. I find I can do most things i want to within vegas. The responsiveness of the editor is good on most systems - one decent cpu and (p4 2.4 / xp3000 ) and half a gig of ram is fine for SD. If you do want to speed things up then vegas is coded to use up to 4 cores.