Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Starting

Default Just Starting

Hi everyone, I have a few questions, and I hope you guys will be able to offer a few pointers to this video newbie....

I have a reasonable amount of general PC expertise, and have worked with still images (mostly for website stuff) but have no previous experience of video work.

I need to produce some clay shooting videos to help promote a new business venture. These do not need to be MGM quality, but smooth transition from clip to clip, the ability to edit out any rubbish, and add a commentary and possible some low volume background music is what I’m aiming for initially.

Ive bought a JVC GZ-MG175E/EK HD Camera, and have the bundled software that comes with it - CyberLink Power Director Express, CyberLink PowerProducer etc. Ive seen the posts about the .mod file extensions and converting them..

1st Question - given my objectives - is the bundled software a) good enough for what I want & b) easy enough for a newbie to understand - I expect I will need to register it to get at all the functionality, but before doing so I wanted some advice as to whether my money would be better spent on different editing software??

Hope you can offer me a few tips

Thanks in advance
    Graham

Personally, I would have purchased a Mini DV camcorder for editing from. I don't use a JVC or that software you describe, but it should be possible to get the video off the camcorder and onto the computer hard disk using a USB cable. From what I've read on other posts the software is basic but it will give you an insight into what can be done, in order to get your video into a better video editing program such as Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas you will have to convert the .mod files into either .avi or .mov as .mod files are not that popular. Have you been to many of these clay pigeon shoots (I take it that's what you mean?) and do you know what has to be recorded?

Thanks for your reply, I've been testing/playing about with tha camera and leads and getting the files from the camera to the PC hasnt been an issue.

What I'm unsure about, is whether the bundled software is suitable (once Ive mastered it) for producing the type of promotional DVDs I'm after - as I said, it doesnt have to be a professional masterpiece, but a series of a few interesting clips, voice over plus maybe some background music.

If it is I'll press on and start to learn/experiment, if not I'd really appreciate some pointers as to the software I should get - Ive heard that adobe premiere and Sont vegas are very good, but I guess they'll be expensive, and I'm not sure whether I need to for an advanced system like that ??

Re the Clay pigeon shooting, Yes I've been participating for more years than I can remember

Blog Entries

I think you will need a denct editor for this work. And as for it not needing to be a work of art, well, if you are being paid for this then it may need to be a work of art....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    I think you will need a denct editor for this work.
    Thanks Mark, which are, in your opinion the decent editors as I would prefer to start learning to use the right one, first off, rather than try to use one, only to find that its not the best one for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    And as for it not needing to be a work of art, well, if you are being paid for this then it may need to be a work of art....
    Point taken, although the chap I'm doing it for is insistent that its the shooting footage thats important, and production quality need not be 100% - I guess I'll have to wait n see on that one..

Blog Entries

There are many to choose from - ask three people and get three different reccomendations.

You can get value versions of most of the full versions for arounf £100 - these offer limited functionality such as limited number of tracks.

Full versions are £400 up.

Often reccomended both in low and full fat versions are vegas (pc only), premier (mac and pc), final cut (mac only), cinelerra (linux), Avid (mac and pc i think) and a few more.

Check out the forum links section for a list of free trials.

Is Cinelerra any good? I've never heard of it before, I have the urge to install yet another OS on one of my computers just to try out Linux.

Blog Entries

Cinelerra - well my linux friends say it is as good as a 'pro' windows editor - honestly I seriously doubt this as the whole linux brigade are apt to 'big up' the whole linux thing a bit too much - most of them are zealouts ! Even more than maccies ! !

I havent used it much but I have done so very briefly and tbh if looked and felt rubbish.

Thanks Chaps - Ive downloaded a copy of Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8 - it has a useful intro/tutorial and looks fairly user friendly.. So I'll see how I go on with it ..... thanks again for your patience & advice..

Rgds
    Graham

I think you have made the right choice, you might want to try Ulead Video Studio 11+
    Video editing software: Ulead VideoStudio - Home it will also handle the files pretty well.

I prefer Premiere and/or Premiere Elements but it doesn't handle the .MOD files very well at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast