Thread: Question regarding cross fades.

Default Question regarding cross fades.

Hi, I'd really appreciate some help with this music video I'm trying to create.
    I'm using Sony Vegas 7.

I am having problems when I use the cross fade transition in that as it's fading from one clip to the next one of the clips seems to slow down.
    So for example - I have rolling waves as the first clip and then a face shot of me singing fading in but it is slightly out of sync with the music until the fade ends and then it kind of jerks back into sync.
    Why is this happening and how can I fix it?
    Very frustrating :(

Ok so I did some searching - should have done that first....... I wish you could delete posts here!
    Somebody said that it should be fine once rendered...that it's just in the preview screen.
    So how am I supposed to know if it's really working?
    I can't seem to change the preview screen to anything that will chew up less...whatever it is it's chewing up, and therefore causing me to see this slowing down thingy happening.
    Last edited by Tracy; 01-27-2008 at 03:53 AM.

Tracy: "So how am I supposed to know if it's really working? " - I can't agree with you enough!! I wish MORE people would raise this. However, there are some truly valuable solutions . . read on . .

1] "Scrub" over Transition region - bit before and bit after

2] Hit Shift+B

Re-Play until bored stiff!!

I use this ALL the time.

And yes, you are completely & utterly correct. Needing to have real time - for me 25fps - IS the holy grail, and don't let anybody convince you otherwise. Without KNOWING what we are creating it is pointless to even start a creative process. How on earth are we going to achieve just what we want?

NB: SHIFT+B is a RAM built preview - you are taking up RAM. However, within Preferences you can "up" the amount of RAM you wish to hand-over to this process. Have a play.

There are other ways to preview PRIOR to rendering out to finished product.

* Render to NEW track - Good is you ALSO want to to drop some inter-edits within the SAME project

* Render to Pre-renders - Eh, flighty and skittish lil files that play coy when you want them back.. But still another way to preview in real time.

* Nested Project Open NEW instance of Vegas and IMPORT project as a nested project/media - In the background a proxy file is being created - I LIKE this one!

Ah, there is another tip - Did you know that it f you keep playing over and over a small section, I have found that it gradually gets to real-time. Not true for all occasions, but some.

HTH?

Grazie

>>>Ah, there is another tip - Did you know that it f you keep playing over and over a small section, I have found that it gradually gets to real-time. Not true for all occasions, but some.

Maybe it just warps your brain cells watching the same bit so many times?

Seriously, I will give some of your suggestions a try and see what happens. Thanks!
    I don't like to "guess" that it's going to turn out then wait all that time while it renders to discover that it sucks!