Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good software for...

Default Good software for...

Transferring the video from a mindv cassette to computer..

I only bought my camcorder a few days ago and I'm confused about this process.

Any help guys?

Use a firewire cable to connect your mini dv camcorder to the computer.

Right on about the firewire connection - miniDV transfer to PC just doesn't work so good with USB2 so that is important step one.

Your miniDV camcorder should have a DV output (weird looking little port - do a google search for dv camcorder output picture if there isn't one in your documentation).

If your PC does not have a firewire input port then you have a problem but easily solved if you are PC "handy" just buy a firewire adapter card for around $50, pop open your desktop, plug the card into a vacant expansion slot and since these are simple plug-and-play devices you should be ready to go.

Your camcorder probably came bundled with software to control capture of video to your PC. Your DVD burner also probably came bundled with similar software.

You can also download several nice little editing program free trials and these programs also do that. I prefer ULead Video Studio while others will prefer other programs and they all do about the same thing.

With your camcorder powered up and your dv to firewire connection plugged in all you should have to do is open your editing software and select capture mode and tell it to begin capture. ULead will sense your camcorder and default to the right capture file type which is avi.

Know that each hour of miniDV will require about 13gig of hard drive space.

Once you have the video transferred you can change software activity from capture to editing (if you want to edit) and you are on your way. None of this is rocket science once you get acquainted with the process.

Even if you don't want to edit you will have to open the avi file and then render it to file format for type of disc you want to create and if standard definition dvd that would be mpeg2 720X480 resolution.

Any questions? Ask away as everyone here is "good people" or send a PMessage and I will try to assist you in any way that I can - some of the others at this forum are smarter with these things than am I.
    goodluck and prepare to have fun!

Thanks a lot for that,

I have realised this forum has a nice atmosphere to it and it's very helpful too .

When I plug my camcorder in with firewire (which I was doing before), I don't get an option on movie maker to select the camera, it only gives me the option of my damned webcam! lol

Anyone know anything about this?

Now this may be partly a prejudice against Movie Maker but also why you should try a more feature rich and functional program than something Microsoft gives away.

There is a list of suggested software on this forum and most all include free trial versions available via simple download. Go to ULead.com and download the trial version of Video Studio version 11 and I think you will enjoy capture and editing more - try them all and buy the one that you enjoy working in the most.

I hope this doesn't sound like an obvious question, but when you have the camcorder connected to the computer, are you setting the camcorder to 'play' ? If so, the computer should detect it, as long as there isn't a problem with either the firewire port on the camera itself, the lead or on the computer firewire card.

When I connect a camcorder to a computer for the first time, a little speech bubble pops up from the taskbar saying something like "Found new hardware - DV compliant camcorder". Then a box appears, similar to the one you get when a CD or DVD autoruns, asking if you want to capture using movie maker or whatever other editing software you may have on the computer.
    My JVC came with a software disc, but I don't use it, and the computer captures fine with both Windows Movie Maker (which I don't use much) and Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5. But if your camcorder came with a disc, it might be worth checking if there are any drivers on there which are needed to facilitate capture.

I am not the brightest bulb in this string of lights but with one of the programs that has a free trial - like ULead Video Studio - if you have the DV to Firewire cable connected between you camcorder and your PC and the miniDV camcorder is simply powered on when you select "capture mode" in the software it will sense your camcorder and, as posted, ask if you wish to use that device.

Again, ULead will default to best capture file quality for DV which is avi. You can use the Play/Stop/Rewind/Fast Forward control buttons of the ULead capture interface to control the camcorder or you can push play on the camcorder and then "Start Capture" in the interface.

The miniDV tape should play and you should see hours/minutes/seconds of captured video on your PC screen.

Once the process has started you can just walk away for however long the tape is and the software should recognize end of content or end of tape and auto stop the capture. Ain't nothin hard about any of this once you have right link between camcorder and pc and good software for capture and editing.

Vegas and Premiere and made more for the serious and professional and the consequence is a user interface a bit more complicated to master than the consumer flavor of programs and, of course, anything meant for pros/business users will cost several times what the consumer programs cost and for what you describe I suggest you spend less and suffer the consequences of easier to use software that is perfectly suited for your needs.

I have downloaded a free trial version of Uleadvideostudio, and it doesn't recognise my camcorder. It says there is no capture device plugged in. I've used a firewire connection from the camera to my computer, and i've tried both the play and camera options on my camera to see if one will get recognised and the camera isn't recognised.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay - Hang in there.

I've been happy with versions 6,9 and 10 so now I'll do the version eleven download.

In version 10 what I would do it, like you, connect camcorder's dv out to PC firewire input.

Have the camcorder powered up and push play so tape will roll.

In version 10 (probably a lot the same in 11) I click on "capture" and then "capture video".

That makes the video capture buttons "active" and I click on "Source" pull down menu and select DV or Ditital Video - however dv is described.

Next click on "format" and select avi.

If you have done the selections manually from the Capture Video menus and the program still doesn't see your camcorder port as active please let me know and in the meantime I will both go to ULead support forum for info and also I am now downloading version 11.

There is an easy fix to your issue and I am sorry I'm not smart enough to get it done right off the top of my head.
    Jim

Still doing research but following is some basic stuff re getting VS to recognize your camcorder via your firewire port.

If your DV Camcorder is not detected by VideoStudio, please take note of these:

1. Make sure that you have the IEEE 1394/Firewire card properly installed;
    2. Go to "Control Panel" (Classic View) then double click on "Network Connections". Right click on the "1394 Connection" then click "Enable";
    3. Check the cable connections and make sure that the Firewire cable is connected properly to your camcorder and computer;
    4. Turn on your camcorder into playback mode and wait for your camcorder to be detected by Windows.

Okay - As I find more info I'll post it back to you.
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast