Thread: Need editing software

Default Need editing software

Hi, I'm looking for some video editing software to fit my laptop. I bought it on the 15/06/07 if that helps, so it's older than the 6400 you can get at Dell now.
    The specs for my laptop are:

Windows XP Professional
    1GB RAM
    Intel Dual Core 1.7 GHz processor
    Intel Media Accelerator 950

Just to let you all know I'm a uni student so I am on a budget with this as well.
    If there's anything else you need to know I'll try and tell you but I'm not really that computerised. I can use them and most software with ease but in terms of knowing what goes in them etc it goes straight over my head.

Thanks in advance for the help

Pete

As I tell everyone who asks this question, download a few of the 30 day trial versions of the popular editing programs or NLE's (Non Linear Editors) you see listed on this forum and see which one you like the best. I don't use a laptop for editing myself, so try out a few and see if any of the programs freeze or crash on your computer, so you will then know to avoid those. Hopefully you will find one that 'fits' and most users then stick with that particular software from then on. Have you tried Windows Movie Maker already on your computer?

Ok i'll give it a go. Yeah I have used movie maker before but it just seems rather basic. I've used it before when I was in high school but that was just for a quick 5 minute thing which turned out fairly crap really. I've only really started getting into the whole cinematography area now. I decided a while ago that I wanted to do a lot of wildlife photography and as I've done more with still images I started thinking about moving ones. I recently bought a MiniDV camcorder (a Canon MD 101) in order to expand my abilities and start making my own films.

How much can you do with Movie Maker?
    As I said I've only done a couple of simple things on there so I'm not too sure about its capabilities.

Pete

WMM covers the basics from capturing video from a source, whether that is a camcorder, a playback deck or clips you have downloaded from the Internet. You can then edit them with transitions and effects and add a few extra audio tracks. It really falls down when it comes to output even though you can make make videos for the likes of YouTube and such but not for DVD production. For that you will need something like Adobe Premiere Elements or similar.

Additional specifications for my laptop:

Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2
    1GB RAM
    Direct X 9 sound card
    Direct X 9 graphics card
    70GB Hard Disk (54Gb free)
    DVD/CD-Rom Drive

Does anyone know of any editing software that will fit these specifications. By the way over the next few days I am going to try Nikosony's advice about downloading the free trials.

Thanks
    Pete

Sorry made a mistake

Windows XP Media Centre Edition (with Service Pack 2) not professional
    1GB RAM
    Direct X 9 sound card
    Direct X 9 graphics card
    70GB Hard Disk (54Gb free)
    DVD/CD-Rom Drive

7. Default

I personally use Sony Vegas studio on my dell Inspiron 5150. It works pretty well and it has great features! I would see if they have any demo's. Good Luck!