Thread: Behind the scenes movie videography

Default Behind the scenes movie videography

I was thinking about how cool it would be (in an ideal world) to run a business shooting and editing behind-the-scenes videos for big movies. Of course, it would be very difficult to get the first gig. I have searched the net for the video companies that do this but can't find anything.

Anyone have an idea who does the videoing for films, such as the new Bond film for example? I wonder how one would go about applying for a job.

I'm only guessing here but they probably shoot it themselves, a small film unit is set up or hired and this means the studio has total control over what and who are shown in the behind the scenes documentaries you see on DVD's. It's unlikely they would want some outside crew running around a set finding things the studio didn't want their competitors knowing.

That also applies to digging up dirt on the actors, the director, who's sleeping with who etc etc.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 01-24-2008 at 10:36 PM.

Blog Entries

That would be cool. Strikes me the first thing you need to do is research - do films companys contract this work out, if so to whom and why? Personally, I have no idea.

As Nikosony implies I suspect it is a bit of a closed shop - all who knows who sort of stuff.

I think you need to take the long view. Set up a production company, do lots of little jobs that are n the same ball park - like low budget indie stuff where the way in will be easier, get known, get a good reputation, and so on...

Blog Entries

The "making of" documentaries are done by the producers themselves. I have shot footage for a few features, and the making of "Bourne Supremacy" in Berlin and am always employed (indirectly) by the producers of the film. Nikosony has hit the nail on the head, the "behind the scenes" documentary is intended as a thirty minute trailer for the film and you won't see anything negative. Thinking about it, all of us are former "features" people who now work in television, including the soundies. The idea being that we know our way around a set and won't interrupt the filming.
    Occasionally a broadcaster might get an invite from the production to visit the location for a day but not to make a whole documentary.

Film sets (using the term loosly) are chaotic enough without having "wild cards" running around. That's why it tends to be a small clique. The actors like to know that they're not going to be filmed picking their nose and the crew want to know that the making-of team won't get in the way of their work. The feature's producers will usually get another production company to produce the "making of" but will have strict control over the content, sometimes even insisting on retaining all footage, especially the stuff which doesn't get in the "official" production. With tens of millions invested in a film, they won't want some oik with a camcorder having the potential to make them look less than perfect.

However... there are hundreds of independent productions made every year and I'm sure that they'd love to have someone do a "making of". Don't expect to get paid though. Once you've shown that you can be trusted to produce "making of" documentaries, you might get a contract for a smaller feature. I suggest having a look through publications like "Broadcast", "Showreel" or "Media News" to see what's going on at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    However... there are hundreds of independent productions made every year and I'm sure that they'd love to have someone do a "making of". Don't expect to get paid though. Once you've shown that you can be trusted to produce "making of" documentaries, you might get a contract for a smaller feature. I suggest having a look through publications like "Broadcast", "Showreel" or "Media News" to see what's going on at the moment.
    A very excellent suggestion, you can find local independent film groups everywhere. As an example I know there is a group in Green Bay Wisconsin.
    I Google 'Green Bay Independent Films' and got this
    Green Bay Film Society, Green Bay, Wisconsin

You can Google the same thing for any semi-major city in the world and probably come up with something. You might also find something at Sonnybo, an independent film site Sonnyboo.com, your source for drinkable short films - you heard me
    Or here, Welcome to IndieFilms one of many independent film sites.