Thread: Requirements for Editing HD Footage

Default Requirements for Editing HD Footage

For some reason, the search function isn't working for me - sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere.

I understand the hardware requirements for working with the massive files sizes of HD footage, etc.

But what versions/plugins for my current software will I need? Currently, I'm using Premiere Pro 7.0 and After Effects 6.5 (I know, time to update...) and I have no idea if these can capture and edit HD footage.

My friend's new Canon HV20 should be arriving tomorrow, and I'm trying to figure out what I'll need to do to use this incredible footage. (It can capture in 1080i, using Mpeg2 on the MiniDV tapes, aka HDV)

Thanks for any input folks!

Blog Entries

Not sure about the s ware but pc wise I would advise 2 core minimum.

I would suggest upgrading both programs to CS3 although for working with HDV I might recommend other software. Even with some of the shortcomings of Premiere CS3 you should still be able to edit just fine after overcoming a few hurdles. If you try to capture and edit with your current versions you will definitely run into some issues.

Nice camera, the HV20 was named camcorder of the year for many good reasons.
    If you need some help there is a current topic discussing issues with Premiere and the HV20 here muvipix Forum • View topic - Canon HV20

Quote Originally Posted by guitarfaces View Post
    For some reason, the search function isn't working for me - sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere.

I understand the hardware requirements for working with the massive files sizes of HD footage, etc.

But what versions/plugins for my current software will I need? Currently, I'm using Premiere Pro 7.0 and After Effects 6.5 (I know, time to update...) and I have no idea if these can capture and edit HD footage.

My friend's new Canon HV20 should be arriving tomorrow, and I'm trying to figure out what I'll need to do to use this incredible footage. (It can capture in 1080i, using Mpeg2 on the MiniDV tapes, aka HDV)

Thanks for any input folks!
    Ppro 7 (or 1) as it;s more often known is NOT HD or HDV tolerant I'm afraid. AE 6.5 should be ok for the relevant comp sizes but just may take an age to render anything depending on what kit you have.

Latest version of AE are great at using all cores available. Not really studied PPro CS3 cos if I do I'll likely want it and cannot justify the expense of upgrading from V2 right now.

OPh and for the record HD and HDV are not interchangeable terms. They do actually mean different things and, needless to say, the requirements for editting each are/can be quite different.

If you;re staying Adobe then your need to update to PPro 1.5 at the very least to edit HDV. And be aware that the native HDV edittgin in PPro is not really the best way of doing things.

Thanks for all the feedback - and Alan, you mentioned that the native HDV editing in PPro is not really the best way of doing things - so conversely, what do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by guitarfaces View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback - and Alan, you mentioned that the native HDV editing in PPro is not really the best way of doing things - so conversely, what do you recommend?
    Native HDV is effectively editting MPEG2 files (sort of) which means that each frame has to be generated each time it need displaying. Time consuming.

My vote goes with a third party plugin called Aspect HD from Cineform (CineForm Home Page). This is an intermediate codec and the plugin replaces premiere's own render engine and you can (if you are careful) edit HDV realtime using nothing more than a sorry old 3GHz P4 like me.

Or, if you have pots of money look at somethign like the Matrox RT.X2 card (not the SD one though) and you'll be realtime for pretty much anythign you want to do then. But then again, you do pay for it...