Thread: Free Video Guide This Weekend...

Blog Entries

Default Free Video Guide This Weekend...

Just been emailed this heads up on a Guardian supplement this saturday. Not a guardian reader myself, but might be worth taking a look...

Don't miss the Guardian Guide to Making Video free with the Guardian this Saturday.

It’s packed with advice and inspiration from a wonderful array of industry experts (including Oscar-winning editor, Walter Murch and film director Edgar Wright). This 90-page guide caters for everyone whether you are getting to grips with your Christmas camcorder or an experienced film-maker planning your next digital short. The guide offers tips from the makers of BBC Video Nation, Director Beeban Kidron and animators from Aardman. There’s a gear guide, written by Digital Video's editor who picked out the best camcorders in the bunch, there is also tips on filming techniques, editing and sound advice, as well as a extensive listings catalogue at the back, with festival, forums and film course information.

We hope that it will inspire you at every stage of the video-making process."

Marc thanks for the info on the free guide, I got it yesterday. Plenty of info in it and lots of hints and tips on what we do. I was looking through The Grauniad (sorry I mean The Guardian - they used to have terrible typos) and on what would be page 12 there is an ad for a free DVD with next Saturdays issue. It is none other than 'The Battleship Potemkin', possibly one of the best silent movies ever made and we should all have it in our collection for reference. I'm not a Guardian reader but two items in two weeks, coincidence or not...

Other movies from that era I would encourage everyone to view if possible are some of Charlie Chaplins films, The Immigrant featuring an actor named Eric Campbell who played a lot of screen 'heavies'; Also The Kid again with Charlie Chaplin, DW Griffiths, The Birth of a Nation, Buster Keaton in The General, Lillian Gish in The Storm. There are many others but they will give you an insight into the fledgling movie industry as it was 80 to 90 years ago. Has anyone ever seen any of Mary Pickfords films on tv or on DVD, she is also from that era, but I can't recall ever seeing even one of her films (a short or feature) in the past 20 years?
    Last edited by Nikosony; 01-27-2008 at 07:01 PM.

Blog Entries

And did you see our wee little community got a mention within the links page?

There was plenty of information in there. Haven't had a chance to read through it, but it does seem like there was a few pages dedicated to just about everything. Now I don't know whether the articles are up to much, but they definately seem to have done their research on this one, and it beats the pants out of the "Gadget Show" offering I feared we'd see. Maybe the gadget show will do a special tie in with the Sun?

I spotted it on page 88, nice one. Certainly plenty to read and try out.