Thread: Premiere settings for Fraps Video

Default Premiere settings for Fraps Video

Appart from an amature editor, I am a gamer Also!

I use the Fraps programm to capture videos from my fanourite game, and then edit an make a video of it!

My first try is the following : LivePvP - Make Digital History.

As u can see, the video cuality is not very good!

I changened some setting to my Fraps recorder, so I can get better quality and resolution video.

Now its the editing part!
    I use Adobe premiere, but the resolution after the editing is poor...

I assume that the Adobe default settings, are not suitable for that kind of video!

Thats why I give u the following link : RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting where u can find a sample of the Fraps Video.

Someone more experianced can give me the "New Project" settings, and the "Export/encoded" settings too!

PS. A simple way to see if the video is in acceptable quality is the following.
    You should be able to read the letters on the chat box at the lower left corner of the video

Thank u in advance!

I actually do machinima professionally (http://www.skribeproductions.com if you're interested).

Firstly, make sure FRAPS is set to full-size (as opposed to half-size). And also make sure the game's screen resolution matches (or is better than) the resolution of the video you're trying to make (ie for PAL-sized with PAL-ratio: 720x576; for HDTV: 1920x1080).

When you export I've found it better to not use Premiere to convert it to QT. I usually output as a DV AVI or as an uncompressed AVI and then use QT Pro to do the conversion to H.264 and IMA 4:1.

Hope that helps,

skribe

Plz, take a look of my Rapidhare link!

There is a sample of the Fraps video. Look at properties ! This will help you to understand better the situation (I think though )

Also I don't really know what is a "QT".

Well i think i know what your getting at as i was having the same issue of sorts. what i ended up doing was making a custom preset for editing fraps caps. so first "new project" hit up the "custom settings" change 'editing mode' to 'desktop', set timebase to your preferance or mine which is 29.97, now video frame size can be changed, from your video it looks like 1224 x 928 i also set 'pixel aspect ratio' to 'square pixels(1.0)' i think you can change that, i never did and i left everything else at its defualt so you can play with that i guess.

As for exporting/video rendering you gonna have to go with 'compressor' none and use an external program like QT Pro(QuickTime Pro){which skribe suggested already} or virtualdub to encode your video like i do, anything other than that and premiere just doesn't work for me.... either it comes out bad or just locks up trying to compress it.

Also hit up the encoding forums for more help in this area.

I hope that helps as it took me days just to figure that out.

oh and don't forget to save your custom preset uh heh.
    Last edited by editornoob; 01-28-2008 at 05:26 AM. Reason: also...

Quote Originally Posted by editornoob View Post
    As for exporting/video rendering you gonna have to go with 'compressor' none and use an external program like QT Pro(QuickTime Pro){which skribe suggested already} or virtualdub to encode your video like i do, anything other than that and premiere just doesn't work for me.... either it comes out bad or just locks up trying to compress it.
    Ty very much! Just one specification!

I firstly export the video with the File/Export/Movie... and then, take the exported movie and ise the QT to encode it! ?

Essentially yes. You need QT Pro and then choose export ->quicktime movie. I recommend using the settings I listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by skribe View Post
    I actually do machinima professionally (Home Welcome to the digital world of New Media Marketing, communication, media, word-of-mouth, Second Life, machinima Skribe Productions if you're interested).

Firstly, make sure FRAPS is set to full-size (as opposed to half-size). And also make sure the game's screen resolution matches (or is better than) the resolution of the video you're trying to make (ie for PAL-sized with PAL-ratio: 720x576; for HDTV: 1920x1080).

When you export I've found it better to not use Premiere to convert it to QT. I usually output as a DV AVI or as an uncompressed AVI and then use QT Pro to do the conversion to H.264 and IMA 4:1.

Hope that helps,

skribe
    (I figured I'd just reply to this thread rather than start a whole new one)

skribe, what codec do you use to export from Premiere? I've been trying to use DivX, but I end up getting a lot of artifacting in the end product. What I've been doing is recording WoW movies with fraps, full size, 1600x1200 (the resolution I run the game at), then import the files into Premiere, File -> Export to movie, and use Microsoft avi, etc.

The quality is good for the most part, but it stutters and gets pixelated, which is obviously not what I want.

The Microsoft AVI codec (as opposed to the DV AVI codec) is uncompressed and so playing it can result in stutters and artefacts - depending on the speed and amount of ram of your machine. I use the uncompressed video to convert to whatever format I need for viewing (usually h.264, which I do in quicktime pro).

Hope that helps,

skribe