Thread: Copying Clips from Premiere Pro > After Effects 7

Default Copying Clips from Premiere Pro > After Effects 7

Hey

I don't seem to be able to copy clips by highlighting them on the Premiere Pro timeline, and then pasting them into a blank comp in AE7. I highlight them, click copy, but then I ctrl+v them on the blank AE timeline and nothing happenes? "Paste" is also greyed out in the menu bar at the top of AE.

I can, however, copy the clips I need opening in AE from Prem onto a new sequence, save the Prem file and then import that into AE with no problems.

I'd just like to be able to copy and paste them without having to save.

I thought this was a feature. Am I mistaken, or simply missing something?

Ta!

Kyle

^yes this is a feuture in AE, and I had this problem some time ago.. in order for it to work I downloaded a number of codecs (cant remember which ones!), then it worked. just google for 'after effects codecs' and you should find something.

Quote Originally Posted by innocent_bystander View Post
    ^yes this is a feuture in AE, and I had this problem some time ago.. in order for it to work I downloaded a number of codecs (cant remember which ones!), then it worked. just google for 'after effects codecs' and you should find something.
    Hm, good to know it isn't just me - I'll look into that. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Forrester View Post
    Hey

I don't seem to be able to copy clips by highlighting them on the Premiere Pro timeline, and then pasting them into a blank comp in AE7. I highlight them, click copy, but then I ctrl+v them on the blank AE timeline and nothing happenes? "Paste" is also greyed out in the menu bar at the top of AE.

I can, however, copy the clips I need opening in AE from Prem onto a new sequence, save the Prem file and then import that into AE with no problems.

I'd just like to be able to copy and paste them without having to save.

I thought this was a feature. Am I mistaken, or simply missing something?

Ta!

Kyle
    he problem here is that a video clip cannot be placed inside an AE composotion unless the asset has been imported into the project first. By cutting and pasting straight into the comp you are by passing this requirement and so the paste is failing.

Workflow between PPRo and AE is not quite as seamless as a lot of people seem to assume it should be. If the two products are bought as part of the production studio (or whatever it's called this week) then integration is a lot better.

Normal workflow would be to export from PPRo and import the result into Ae for work. use a lossless codec or better still, a series of lossless still images. or you can import a PPro project into AE

Thanks for answering. I've always exported using a loseless codec from premiere and exported into AE to work on in the past, but this way sounded alot easier. At least I now know I can open Premiere project files into AE. I don't know how I managed to miss that lol.

Cheers