Thread: Newbie question on DVD export

Default Newbie question on DVD export

I have tried the Premiere 6, and have been able to capture video from my SONY HC40, and now I have a few questions:
    1) Is it normal for a 5 mn captured video file to be 2.5G? That is a huge file.
    2) I see there is a function where I can export video to DVD, VCD or SVCD format, and I've tried it. The VCD and SVCD works fine, but I don't like the quality. When I exported to DVD files, it puts out 2 files: 1 for video and 1 for sound. Is that correct? If so, how I can play the video with sound. So far I have only been able to play 1 or the other, but not together.
    3) I will get a DVD burner soon, a 2 layer burner. So file space should not be a problem soon. How can I get the best video quality with a reasonable file size? Is DVD export the best?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Default Re: Newbie question on DVD export

Quote Originally Posted by nchen
    I have tried the Premiere 6, and have been able to capture video from my SONY HC40, and now I have a few questions:
    1) Is it normal for a 5 mn captured video file to be 2.5G? That is a huge file..
    Quite normal for captures to be huge. Although I find that five minutes of captures is closer toa single Gb ratehr than 2.5.

2) I see there is a function where I can export video to DVD, VCD or SVCD format, and I've tried it. The VCD and SVCD works fine, but I don't like the quality. When I exported to DVD files, it puts out 2 files: 1 for video and 1 for sound. Is that correct? If so, how I can play the video with sound. So far I have only been able to play 1 or the other, but not together..
    The DVD export is for when you are intending to build a DVD for a set top box using s/w like Adobe Encore. In that s/w you build your timelines and use both files. When the DVD is encoded you effectively get a large MPGE2 file (VOB) with the two combined.

If all you are after is to play the 'movie' on your PC then I suggest export as a .mov or .wmv fiel or something.

3) I will get a DVD burner soon, a 2 layer burner. So file space should not be a problem soon. How can I get the best video quality with a reasonable file size? Is DVD export the best?.
    It's what it's for

Thanks for the tip. A few more questions:
    1) How do I export to .mov or .wmv files? Are the quality just as good?
    2) Is there any other software that can do what the Encore does?

Thanks again.

Blog Entries

The WMV and Quicktime (MOV) video codecs were primarily designed for internet streaming (i.e higher quality at smaller file sizes). If you want to distribute your videos on the internet, use one of these codecs. If you're making a DVD, you NEED to use MPEG2. To export as WMV, choose FILE > EXPORT > Windows Media. To export as quicktime, go file > export > moive, then change the codec under video to quicktime.

There are many DVD authoring applications available. Take a look at the sticky in here http://www.videoforums.co.uk/ftopic548.html.