Thread: Do I need to use firewire?

Default Do I need to use firewire?

Im in the process of transferring all my footage off my mini dv camcorder, sony, DCR-TRV18E, on to dvd.
    I have used the usb cable provided and the pixela mixer to capture. I used powerproducer to burn to disc.
    The quality is quite bad, I didnt know the reason for this, I attempted capturing in avi files and mpeg files...no difference.
    Since browsing these forums Ive realised it may be the fact that I have used the usb and this automatically down grades the quality? Is this true???
    I don't have a firewire port on my pc and really don't want to attempt to install the pci card or whatever it is I need.
    Someone please help I just want the quality I bought the camera for in the first place. I need confirmation its defiantly the usb affecting quality before I go attempting the frustration of firewire, could it be the software at all??

Yes only use Firewire (never use USB on a Mini DV camcorder) and if you don't have a Firewire socket on your computer you need to get one installed either doing it yourself or get someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Yes only use Firewire (never use USB on a Mini DV camcorder) and if you don't have a Firewire socket on your computer you need to get one installed either doing it yourself or get someone else.

Hi thanks, Im gonna ask try and find someone to install one for me.
    Do you know if it will affect my pc at all, its over 3 years old now and already runs fairly slow and I don't wanna mess it up?

Blog Entries

No - this will not be noticaable in any negative way.