Thread: "subject stands still, everything else speeds by" effect

1. Default "subject stands still, everything else speeds by" effect

Does anyone have any tips on how to do that effect you see sometimes where one person in a scene is moving really slowly or standing still and others around them, in front of them and behind them are speeding by?

I am guessing you just need to get the person to stand really still and then speed up the clip.

But I wonder if there's a software trick (I'm using cs3) - like is there a software feature equivalent to the magnetic lasso in Photoshop that would enable you to cut out everything except a certain figure, and then matte out the rest of the picture? I know you could do it in green screen, but I like the effect where people also walk in front of the subject, and I can't imagine how you do this with software.

Thanks,
    jaym01

Shoot some video out on a busy street, then shoot your talent standing in front of a greenscreen. In either your video editing program or compositing program, speed the street footage up and put it on a layer below the one where the talent was shot. Another way would be to shoot it all on the street but with a dividing line separating the talent and everyone else. It could be the corner of a building or even a street light. Duplicate the video, put it onto separate tracks and crop the top video layer so you make a hole in it and are able to see what is underneath. Then speed up or slow down whichever clip you want to.

3. Default

Hmm, I get it - I'll give it a go - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Shoot some video out on a busy street, then shoot your talent standing in front of a greenscreen. In either your video editing program or compositing program, speed the street footage up and put it on a layer below the one where the talent was shot. Another way would be to shoot it all on the street but with a dividing line separating the talent and everyone else. It could be the corner of a building or even a street light. Duplicate the video, put it onto separate tracks and crop the top video layer so you make a hole in it and are able to see what is underneath. Then speed up or slow down whichever clip you want to.
    Masking - and lots of it. Learn to embrace the roto. LOVE IT!

Use the Timewarp effect to speed up the rest of your footage - with some tweaking it'll leave nice long trails of your sped-up street scene.
    - Join the Secret 7000 -