Thread: Multiple PC's connected for improved performance

Default Multiple PC's connected for improved performance

Every time I see a "the making of" on a DVD they always show a room full of computers connected together for blistering fast rendering performance.

I'd like to connect my old computer to my newer computer to improve rendering speed of my newer computer to render faster. But I can't even find anything on Google simply because I don't know what terms to use to even investigate this type of connection.

Does anyone know where I can find info on this type of connection?

Thanks,
    Fluf

I don't think connecting your old computer to your new computer will make any speed difference, depending on what connections you have and what operating systems are on them you won't see any change. If your new computer is up to date then I would use it for all your video work and forget about the old one.

If it is not up to date, then think about either upgrading it or selling both of them and get a computer with at least Dual Core Intel Pentium or AMD CPU, 2GB Ram, Windows XP SP2 (I would still stick with it as it is more reliable at this moment in time compared to Vista and it works better with all the current video editing software). A large hard disk (the largest you can afford), a dvd burner, if you want to add a second monitor then get a graphics card or just use the inbuilt graphics if you just want to use one monitor. A sound card would also be useful as audio editing is often neglected when it comes to video production.

Finally, depending on what type of camcorder you are using or intend to use then a connection such as Firewire and analogue video/audio connections would come in useful if you have a lot of old VHS tapes lying around.

Blog Entries

Top advice.

My friend has built a beowulf cluster using three old pcs just cos he can really. Sadly it wont run xp or windows apps - only specially designed s ware runs on it apparetnly. I suspect production houses use clusters with engineers to keep then going and cusrom s ware.

Vegas pro has a network render function but I dont know anyone who has used it. I did have some plans to use my old xp3000 machine ith my new core dup but when i ran the b marks the new machine was nearly 4 times faster then the old so the rendering perfornance increase with the xp3000 added wasnt really worth the effort.

More cores is definitely the way to go.

Wouldnt it be nice if you could plug a ps3 into your pc and have that do all the rendering maths?

Correct me if Im wrong but isn't the fastest technology already available in the current crop of PC's that are on the market, and therefore thinking about connecting old computers together or old and new computers together is not practical. You'd be better off looking at either a dual or quad core that is now available.

Blog Entries

True - except for that cell chip with all its SIMD PPE cleverness.