Thread: N00b, Need Help Selecting A Video Editing Software

Default N00b, Need Help Selecting A Video Editing Software

I am a newbie to video and need some advice on selecting a video editing software.

What I plan to do with the software:

I plan to create videos for YouTube and other internet sites for promote my business. The videos will be everything from product reviews to scenery shoots to movie shorts.

My hardware setup:

To start with I will be using my digital camera, which shoots quite decent quality 640x480 MPEG video. I may graduate to a digital camcorder later. I have a tripod for my camera.

I plan to use my computer and Audacity to record and mix as much of the audio as possible. I don't know how much of the audio I can record (then sync with the video) this way, so I think I may need good audio capabilities (multi-track, noise removal, mixing, etc.) in the video editing software.

My computer specs are:
    AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-50 (1.6GHz)
    1GB RAM
    Windows XP Media Center

Need advice:

Based on my research, it seems that the best options are:
    Corel Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus
    Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 (Not 4.0)

Which of these options would be best? Or, is there another software option that would be better?

I would appreciate any advice of any type.
    Last edited by adamjthompson; 01-18-2008 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Added computer OS

East Kilbride, Scotland

You could do worse than add Sony Vegas Media Studio to your list, and try the trial versions of all three to see what suits your needs and capabilities. Also refer to mr Chapman's sticky at the top of this particular forum.

Good luck
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

N. florida

I am not the brightest bulb with your question.

IMO - you should capture raw images in highest quality possible and my suggested minimum threshold is miniDV.

ULead Video Studio is a very nice consumer level video editing program and is not only much less expensive than Adobe Premiere (like only $80us versus hundreds of dollars) it is also much easier to learn to use.

ULead (others will recommend different software and all do a good job - just differently - it's a personal preference thing) does a good job of video capture control from your camcorder to your hard drive and then is easy and fun to edit with.

Again, step up to a higher quality capture camcorder - capture to your hard drive - edit adding whatever transitions and effects and titles you care to and then you can render the finished project to whatever file type and size and quality for your upload to the YouTube video server.

They limit uploads to 100meg so you can render about 5 minutes of video to SVCD quality and still stay within the 100meg limit.