Thread: Spec me a Laptop

Question Spec me a Laptop

Hi All

I am looking at upgrading my current kit and am looking at a HD camcorder, I will also need to upgrade my current laptop to enable me to edit the footage.

This is were I get stuck, looking at the system requirements for programs like Premiere Pro and Sony Vegas they are all listed with desktop PCs in mind.

Could anyone please point me in the right direction as far as Processor and Graphics cards are concerned.

It need to be a laptop as I have nowhere to set up a desktop machine permanently.

Thanks in advance

Rich

Blog Entries

Hmmm - I have never used a l top so this advice may be flaky and not up to date...

People use d tops to edit cos editing will use every flop of power your system has. You get roughly twice as much power per pound/dollar/yen/groat with a desk top.

But if you have to have a lap top then forget about a tiny one, likely to be underpowered. Get the biggest / fattest / fastest you can afford.

If you plan to edit HDV in it's native format then I strongly suggest you try the lap top you like with the app you use and see how it works with hdv clips. Editing HDV needs much more power than DV.

I would advise avoiding 4500 rpm drives and ideally you will need two drives - use the internal for apps and the external for media.