Thread: Choosing Camera for Promotional film

Thumbs up Choosing Camera for Promotional film

Hi, I need a camera to shoot a 10min. promotional film in broadcast quality. Same as we see in Discovery or Natgeo. Also i'll be shooting it in film mode. I want professional DOPs to pls help me in choosing the right camera & also give me some tips as in how can I make the video look like real pro & ready for broadcast. I mean after complete editing what kind of color correction software should it go through.

Thanks

What's your budget?

Blog Entries

I mean no disrespect but if you want your video to look 'completely professional' then you need to have years of expirience and / or a good crew. There aint no simple shortcuts and a few lines here will not enable you to be a 'complete professional'.

Having said that try googling 'rule of thirds' - 'crossing the line' - ' montage ' - ' Continuity editing ' - and so on.....

Also to achieve results like Nat Geo you are looking at a minimum camera wise of a sony pd170 / canon xl1 / sony Z1 / canon XM1h - more likley they will prefer something better like a JVC HD-110, or that new sony that records to cards at 35mbit, XL1 h

Usually the customer will be clear about the format they prefer - have they not said ? ?

Once you have the camera you will also need a tripod and a decent microphone (probably a boom mike such as a sen 416).

If it for tv broadcast then you would really want to shoot in interalace not progressive ( 'film' look).

Also - dont forget the 5 second rule on pans - and if you do shoot in progressive remember to pan nice and slow...

I am not a professional, I suspect a professional answering this would raise more issues that you may not have considored.

Sandymojo - what is your experience in shooting for broadcast? Are you experienced in all aspects of pre-production, production and post production or are you looking for someone else to do that for you?

well i'm somewhere in between, i have done quite a few projects but still there is a lot i need to learn. I handle only pre & post prod. for production I hire a crew but I think pre-prod is very important phase where u visualise your project before execution. When ever i see my previous projects i feel its lacking that professional touch.

My client is builder he needs extremely good quality film with beautiful graphics, footage & some 3d walkthrough in between. Ok guys tell me will COMBUSTION be enough for color grading.

Before looking at such things as Combusiton and colour grading maybe it might be a better idea to figure out why your previous productions are 'lacking that professional touch'?