Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adult - Shadow Screen? & Post effects?

Default Adult - Shadow Screen? & Post effects?

Greetings all.

I've just joined and see there's much to be learned.

I'm working on a project where we're wanting to produce much the same video type as you see here in this link SHADOW DANCERS! VERY SEXY VISUALS!

You can see some of the behind the scenes work at this link
    Shadow Dancers

I am just a home user and production is for net display only. I'm figuring will try filming S h a d o w Dance sequence with Everio.

My questions are.

Is the shadow screen material used a (Blue/Green - chroma-key) color? Or can any colour screen work from a post effects editing standpoint?

I'm going to need to build a portable screen and would appreciate any recommendations.

And hell if any of you have thoughts re. the shadow production re. fabric or lighting recommendations? Or simple to use software for dropping in background effects.

I thank you for any help. And apologize if by asking too many questions on a first post I've broken protocol.

Lillienthal

Blog Entries

It looks like what they've done is the old "James Bond" opening credits travelling matte, updated for video.

In other words: You have a tranlucent screen illuminated from behind with a single hard source. Providing the dancer stays close to the screen you end up with a black silhouette and a white background.
    You then tell your editing softaware to use white as the background, In this case you could chroma-key or Luma-key, both will give you the same result and enable you to replace the white with whatever you want.

The theory's easy, getting it right isn't...

Guru, I much appreciate the analysis. Alright so now I guess my next step is to head off to the fabric store with the flashlight to pick-out the fabric.

I imagine if I explore the other forums here I'll find much discussion re. the various software options available. If you don't mind another question considering the type of editing that I wish to do for this project is there a particularly good /simple program you recommend I try/use?

Thanks again, Lillienthal

>><<

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    It looks like what they've done is the old "James Bond" opening credits travelling matte, updated for video.

In other words: You have a tranlucent screen illuminated from behind with a single hard source. Providing the dancer stays close to the screen you end up with a black silhouette and a white background.
    You then tell your editing softaware to use white as the background, In this case you could chroma-key or Luma-key, both will give you the same result and enable you to replace the white with whatever you want.

The theory's easy, getting it right isn't...

For luma or chromakeying you'll need to get either Adobe Premiere Elements 4 or Pinnacle Studio, I haven't used Pinnacle Studio recently myself so I can only comment on APE4. It has the ability to do all the things you want to do and lots more. Download a 30 day trial version of it or any of the other software you see mentioned on the forum and see which one you like best before buying it. It costs about 60 Sterling in the UK or around 90 Euros, I don't know what it costs in America.

If you want to do chromakeying then go to a department store that sells bed linen and look for either a King size or Double King size bed sheet that is not bright blue or very dark blue, you are looking for something inbetween. The reason I mention blue is because I have yet to see any green coloured bed sheets. If that isn't big enough for what you want to do, then look in art supply shops or even visit builders suppliers and see if they stock large rolls of blue or green sheeting.

Blog Entries

For the screen, go to your local rental house and get a roll of "full diffusion" lighting gel. If I remember it's number 216 (or it may be 250, one or the other). Get a "double width" roll which will be about 8ft wide and thirty foot long, it will cost about $100 but is ideal for this purpose.

If you try to do it with material, I don't think you'll have much success in getting a sharp, defined outline.

Edit: Just checked, full white diffusion is number 216, half white is number 250. Go for the full white.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 01-17-2008 at 09:46 AM.

Use a white background? Surely any highlights on the talents face or if they are wearing light coloured clothing will become transparent aswell.

Blog Entries

It's not a background.

It's a translucent screen lit from behind. The sequence is. Camera - Screen - dancer - light. It's the best way to get a clean silhouette. In effect you're copying the way a shadow-theatre is made. It's important to have the dancer near to (but not touching) the screen and the light source as far away as possible.

Much thanks again to all for suggestions.

Guru, I've contacted my local suppliers and so far rolls of Gel are only available in widths of 48" x 25' cost is $149.+tax

So seems I either have to have dancers confine their moves which would preclude more than 1 at a time or, I hang two pieces side by side. (could a seam where the pieces meet be made invisible?)

Another option was suggested to me over the phone. And that was to go with a Diffusion Cloth. Much pricier.. 8' x 8' around $200. and up.

Lillienthal

Blog Entries

Diffusion cloth is thicker than gel and, I would think, not as good for what you want. With a bit of care, you should be able to join two rolls of gel together without the seam showing. Bearing in mind that you'll want to end up with a pure black shape on a pure white background, with no greys at all, a seam which is just about visible can be "lost" by increasing the contrast in post.

There is a back projection gel available (which is identical to #216) and that is produced in 10 ft widths but is very expensive and, according to my missus who has used it for back-projection, needs more ooomph than 216.

If I were you, I'd get a yard or so of gel and do a bit of experimenting to see if it's what you need. Otherwise you might have to go down the chromakey (green/bluescreen) route which needs a lot, lot more skill than a back-projected shadow screen.

Much thanks again,

I have just purchased two sheets aprox 24"x30" and I will experiment with joining them together and dealing with the post challenges. For joining would you recomment a small overlap with tape? or butt joint?

Thanks,

Lil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast