Thread: Videostudio 8.0 & No sound - Newbie!

Unhappy Videostudio 8.0 & No sound - Newbie!

Hi

I've been trying to import a dvd into Ulead Videostudio 8.0, the video is imported fine but I get no sound.

Please help!
    Lbob

Can you describe the steps you took to import the video?
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Hi

I've tried using the wizard and also the editor itself.

This is the process Import DVD, selected the VIDEO_TS directory, select the scened i want off the dvd, click finish. It imports the scenes fine, you tehn play them in the viewer and there's no sound.

Any ideas?

Cheers
    Lbob

I've used VS versions 6 and 9 and 10plus but not version 8.

With some of the earlier versions I recall that the program would not support working with .vob dvd type files and they had to be transcoded (some call that ripping) to a supported file type like mpeg2.

Are you referring to a home movie type dvd or a commercial dvd? If commercial dvd then you will have to decrypt or remove the copy protection before you can do the vob transcode.

Need a bit more information, please.

Hi
    I'm using a home movie. A couple of years ago I used it to import and edit which worked fine, but for some reason now it doesn't want to work. The pc is the same, I've reinstalled the software etc but still doesn't work. I've tried the trial of 11 which works but my trial has almost finished and I begrudge paying for the same software I've already got.
    Lbob

YIKES - this is why I always archive raw home movie captured files before editing (if any) and transcoding as a dvd cause turning the process around is difficult.

I thought version 8 would accept non-encrypted vob files and allow them to open in time line and/or play in the viewer.

I'll see if I have a copy of version 8 loaded on one of the pcs and, if so, I'll do some testing.

Lot of smarter folk on these forums than I and don't forget you can register at ULead official site and gain access to the knowledge base and the Video Studio users forum.

I've just looked in the tools capture plugin settings, I've got Ulead DSW MPEG, Ulead DirectShow & Windows Media Format. Am I missing any do you think, or is there a separate plugin that I need for the audio?
    I've registered with Ulead and I've tried logging into the forum, after 24 hours still waiting for my accoun to be activated so I can post a message!
    Cheers
    lbob

I posted your question on the Ulead VS forum = probably will be answered soon.

Okay now that I've thought about it all again. . . . .

You posted that you can open the files successfully in VStudio version 11 trial but not in version 8.

I can understand that you don't want to pay for version 11 since you already own version 8 but versions are applicaion evolutions and newer versions do things older ones won't.

I had a avi video file that would simply not open in any version of Video Studio. Reverse of your problem - audio would play but no video - blue screen only.

I downloaded a file converter or transcoder (free) called mediacoder (there are others out there) and it recognized my file and converted it in one step to what I needed - mpeg2 - and mpeg2 would work for you too. Probably no quality loss since vob is just a mutation for dvd of mpeg2. Another name for dvd file transcoder is "ripper" and there are tons of them available online.

My new mpeg2 file opened right up in new and old versions of Video Studio and also in my dvd creation favorite - DVDitPE.

I'll post any info from the ULead forum for you here but I think you will need to use an editing program that supports your file type of transcode your file back to a more interoperable format.
    Last edited by imjay; 01-17-2008 at 02:34 AM.