Thread: Looking for a camera... (more inside, please help)

Default Looking for a camera... (more inside, please help)

Okay, so I want to get a camera so that I can make short films. I'm really interested in filming and so I want to get a camera and see how far I can take it on my own.

I'm asking here because at first I was looking into buying a DVD camcorder but from my understanding they can't film more than 30 minutes or so before maxing out as far as memory is concerned.

So assuming I have a price range of up to 1000 thousand American dollars but obviously the lower the better, what kind of camera/camcorder/whatever am I looking?

Looking for it to record at least 1024-768 or better, and most importantly have a lot of recording time (>45 minutes). I hear sound is quite important but it is tertiary on my list of importance to the two formentioned things.

Thanks so much in advance.

Do you plan on editing your movies or do you just want to watch them back after you've recorded them?

i want to edit them as well using premiere or something along those lines.

If you plan to edit them and use Adobe Premiere then I would suggest a 3CCD Mini DV model and currently Panasonic only do those as far as I'm aware. Other forum members are better qualified to tell you about HD (High Definition) camcorders than I am if you prefer that route.

Blog Entries

I agree with Niko.

I am yet to be convinced that 'cheap' HDV cameras are any good. In my albeit limited expirience I think you need to spend 2000 or more befor the format shines.

720 x 576 pixels that are well resolved will give better results than 1280 x720 ( or 1440 x 1080) that are not. In small cameras the optical system is often the limiting factor in picture quality.

I would like to correct that last post of mine by saying Panasonic are not the only company who make 3CCD camcorders. Canon also make them, and you may be able to pick up a Canon cheaper in America than what we can for over here.