Thread: Dual Layer dvd quality versus single layer

Default Dual Layer dvd quality versus single layer

To satisify curiosity does anyone know why the commercial movie makers go to the extra trouble and expense to dual layer burn? Does it produce higher visual quality than the home movie type dvds we can make at home?

I've considered the more expensive dual layer blank discs to be able to archive more info on data discs but never thought there might be an image quality improvement with dual layer video burning.

Anyone ever found software that would allow consumer higher dvd quality by dual layer burning the image?
    Thanks
    Last edited by imjay; 01-24-2008 at 01:25 AM.

Hi, yes, all things being equal (and your raw footage isnt poor quality) you can fit (a) longer video at same quality onto dual layer (b) or increase the data throughput when you render in your editor to increase mpg2 quality - if this results in > 4.7Gb then you can use dual layer.

example: if you try and fit 3 hrs into a single layer dvd you will have to compress the output more than usual to fit into 4.7Gb, with dual layer you wouldnt have to.

I guess I'm trying to ask if the commercial movie makers know something I don't that maybe I could take advantage of if I used different software and dual layer media.

The create a commercial standard definition movie dvd that is dual layer burned with say 8megs of data with content that is about 1 1/2 hours.

I can create a pretty high quality 1 1/2 home movie dvd by only single layer creation and since standard definition dvd is based on 720X480 mpeg2 I was just trying to find out why the movie makers go to the extra trouble and expense of dual layer burning?

Anyone have any idea?