Thread: Finally!

Default Finally!

Finally the main part of the shoot of our new film is over. It was sheer hell, but it's done now. We've got a few days of shooting to do here and there, but that's (A) the main part over, and (B) the part that means our flat gets wrecked is over.

I wish i could shoot everything on DV! so much less hassle, but NO! we needed to have a 16mm camera, dolly track, daft amounts of lighting, audio equipment, all sorts. I KNOW the film will look and sound fantastic, far better than DV could've made it look, but jesus, the upheaval!

Every day if we were filming outside the flat, we had to cart all the equipment out of the flat, into the van (and cars), drive to the location, empty the van, set all the equipment up for the first shot, film, set up for the second shot etc etc, then pack everything back into flight cases, back into the van, back home, back up to the second floor, into the flat... repeat each day. Even when we WERE Filming entirely in the flat, the flat's 3 bedrooms, and not small by any means, but there was so much equipment, and we were filming in every room, so we had to swap stuff from room to room, to free up the room we were filming in. And that's NOT counting the stuff that was on the landing for a week.

I can't WAIT until we can afford to build sets. It'll be heaven. Really. Especially instead of the two nights we spend in a cemetary. When you're at the mercy of the weather (which was actually pretty decent) and worse, the sun. And a pernickety director. And a fussy DP. And a generator that works when it wants to, plunging you into darkness randomly.

Locations cancelling on you at the last minute, equipment not working, running out of film, ISN'T FILM MAKING FUN?!

Grr..

Hehe. We had a blast though, and after we do these few days here and there, and the film gets developed and whatever the hell else needs done, and we edit it, and mix the sound, and get a print back, and... etc... It'll be great and we can start touring festivals etc. Then, we shall be kings!

Looking forward to seeing soem of it

Yep, you'll all get to see it soonish. It'll be months before it's finished though.

It'll be months before i want to go back near a bloody camera though I was only doing behind the scenes stuff on DV but jesus, i'm sick of making films. Need time to unwind...

20 minutes of film, infinite upheaval and (dare i say it) 12 grand in total. EEK!

No wonder we've seen so little of you on here lately!

Yeah, life's been a wheeze.

I've only ever done stuff on dv before, and even though the biggest thing i've done was a feature, and this was a short, the feature had no lighting etc. Just a minidv cam, and a dat/boom. There was nothing to it. This was crazy. Made me feel like i was actually making movies, as opposed to just hobbyist stuff. I love it!

The crew was tight, and we all had a half dozen jobs, but it was great. We were pretty much all strangers, but the bonding happened really quickly, we were all sad to have to say goodbye to each other, it's pretty intense stuff. I'll post some stills for you to see what we were up to in a bit

Blog Entries

And there was I thinking filming a mate's wedding was hard work LOL