Thread: burn question from newbie

Default burn question from newbie

Hi,
    I'm a newbie with Vegas (version 8.0) and I'm trying to burn my first dvd from my .veg project. When I choose Burn Disc (Video CD) from the Tools Menu, the only option that appears in the format box is Main Concept MPEG-1. The template is VCD NTSC and the description is Video 29.97 fps, 352x240. I cannot see how I can change the resolution in order to increase the quality of the final product.
    Any hint greatly appreciated, I volonteered to record the Christmas show at the kindergarden and tons of parents are now running after me for the DVD!! Please help me!
    Patrick
    P.S. camcorder is a Sony HDR-SR7

If you wanted to burn a VCD then that was exactly what you want to do.

Now, if you want to burn DVDs, first you need to prepare your finished footage as MPEG2, not MPEG1. Secondly you will need to author a DVD Menu and use the MPEG2s you produced from within Vegas. You cannot burn a DVD directly from VegasPro8. You prepare your footage FOR then authoring within an DVD authoring package. Sony has DVDArchitect for this. But a long time ago I used DVDWorkshop another DVD authoring package to do this. In fact you can ALSO prepare AVIs for MPEG2 and so on within Sony's DVDA or another authoring package.

So, you have many options. But burning a DVD straight from within SonyVEgasPro8 aint one of them!

Here's my workflow :

From within VegasPro8

1] - Finish project

2] - Create/render a full AVI version of the project for final proofing and archival purposes.

3] - Create/render from the full AVI version AND SAME NAME AND FOLDER a "Save type as" ( and this from the dropdown templates) "Mainconcept MPEG2" AND the "Template" for "DVD Architect PAL video stream" ( here you would choose your local NTSC standard - yeah) - this will produce a "silent" MPEG2 of the project.

4] - Create/render from the full AVI version AND SAME NAME AND FOLDER a "Save type as" ( and this from the dropdown templates) "Dolby AC3" AND the "Template" for "Stereo DVD" - this will produce an "audio" AC3 stream

5] - Open Sony DVDA4 and drag the MPEG2 to the workspace. The AC3 file should follow with it. And apart from fiddling with the "look and feel" of the actual DVD menu, that's about it and ready to burn to DVD disc.

NB: it is essential you have the MPEG2 and the AC3 file named the same - obviously NOT the extension - and in the same folder. You don't NEED to have the AVI in the same folder.

But no, you have to understand the various formats of this stuff. VCD is one format standard, and DVD is another.

Actually, I have, using TMPGenc ( Tsunami MPEG encoder) produced fairly passable/plausible and DVD-like VCDs at MPEG1. But that's another story . . .

There is some stuff you really need to get your head around, but once done, you will be sailing!

HTH,

Grazie

Default Gracia Grazie!

Thank you so much for your answer, now I understand. I will try this at home this weekend! Again thank you for the clear explanation.
    Patrick