Thread: Name change?

Default Name change?

Instead of using the word 'amateur' to describe a non professional who uses video as a hobby rather than a full time job, how about changing it to 'non professional' or what about 'digital video creative'? It's just that using the word amateur conjures up a certain image of a person when you hear that word.

So how about dropping the word amateur for something more positive and move the status of hobbyists up a notch or two on the food chain? I think any other word rather than amateur would be better. It might also attract interest from television companies or film companies, but you guys who are either in that line of work or associated with it could comment better on it.

Blog Entries

Sounds good. where do we use amateur on the website?

It's just that a number of threads that I've read over the past two years that I've been on here either use words like amateur film maker, newbie or noob (not a big fan of either of those) or novice. To change it to something more descriptive such as digital video creative or digital film maker would actually portray what we do in a more positive light. It's just a suggestion at the moment for a name change and also how long do you remain a newbie, amateur or novice, surely one day you have to decide whether you are going to commit to it and therefore move away from the amateur status and start calling yourself either a digital video creative or digital film maker?

Blog Entries

You are soooo right - noted.