Thread: Help!!!!

Default Help!!!!

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this video stuff... but I have a problem that I'm hoping you guys can help with....

I get videos from several people doing research. They come in several formats, mov, avi, dv and more.... The first problem I'm trying to resolve is this...

I have a video (mov format, Sorenson Video, 800X600, millions) The movie FPS is 30, but my PC has real trouble trying to run the video... The FPS usually starts out at about 30, but then drops of sometimes as low as 5 FPS. The movie is about 4gig in size and runs about 1.5 minutes.

This computer is not a slouch... it has two Intel 2.4G cpu's with 2 gb memory, SCSI hard drives, Ge-Force 6200 Graphics Card.... running Windows 2000...

Is it obvious what's wrong??? Do you need more info?

Thanks for looking and any information will be appreciated.....

That video has a rather high bitrate, which you're machine might not be capable of handling.

4Gb for 1.5 mins! standard DV would be about 1Gb for 5 mins, so this video clip you have has a data rate of 15x above a normal dv clip. That's quite an amount of processing to be done.

If I were you i'd encode it to a nicer format/bit rate before using it.

OOOOpppppsssss!!!!

OK... how would I encode it to a nicer format/bit rate???? I guess I'm even more of a beginner then I thought!!!!!

You get over my head pretty quick here but there is a free transcode utility available for download called mediacoder that works with a bunch of file types, codecs and sizes. Do a google or check it our at Kim Kommando download page.

Thank you... I will check it out